Can a multi-turn stop valve be converted to (not replaced by) quarter turn?

Users who are viewing this thread

ItzRav

Reaction score
Our 1930-era house has galvanized supply pipes. Existing sink and toilet stop valves are 3/8 FIP X 3/8 OD Comp angle multi-turn. In the past I’ve rebuilt some of these by removing the old stem and replacing with the innards of a new Brasscraft multi-turn valve, leaving the existing body of the valve screwed on to the supply pipe. I now want to convert some of these to quarter turn valves. But again I don’t want to unscrew the body of the valve from the supply pipe, as I don’t want to risk a disaster if the pipe is corroded or the threads are bad or break the joint behind the wall. Is it possible to replace the innards of the multi-turn valve with the innards of a Brasscraft KT (higher quality version of their valves) quarter turn valve? I suspect that the design of the valve may be too different to do that but thought I’d ask the experts here. Thanks.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
1/4 turn valve uses a ball as the seal and larger ones are called ball valves. The ball is pressed into a machined area to provide a seal all around the ball. The two type are completely different.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks