Cal Faucets cartridge removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hi all,
New wall spout tub filler stopped working. It's two quarter-turn valves that feed a spout. It's been used a few times to fill the tub and things worked fine.

Model number is 50-W-R https://www.calfaucets.com/bathroom/parts/valves/1-2-wall-stop-valve-only-50-w-r

Today, the cold would not shut off all the way. Felt stuck. So I closed the emergency shutoff and then took a look.

It has a nut thing in front of the valve that came off easy enough, but the valve itself won't budge. I tried turning it CCW from the stem, but it seemed to be twisting a lot without anything moving so I backed off.

Almost impossible to find information on their site. Best I could find is this datasheet. Nothing about removing the cartridge. https://cdn.calfaucets.com/uploads/instructions/TO-XX-W_ii_190418-1.pdf

Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Anthony

calfaucets-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Fixed it myself. I used the handle instead of a wrench and it broke free pretty easily (which is what I expected yesterday). Unit is held in by a few threads and an o-ring. That top cap seats the second o-ring to prevent leaks.

I had a small piece of debris in the cartridge. Probably a solder blob, which is odd since we purged the lines before sweating on the tub filler assembly and used this several times with no problems.

The cartridge seems no worse for the wear and seals fine. I have it back assembled and working great now.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the update on that. Solder blobs or dirt can come from anywhere. Or so it seems. I one time found a plastic ball from a water heater heat trap bouncing in the pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks