Broken CI drain part - how do I fix it?

Users who are viewing this thread

andersod2

Reaction score
I removed the trap from my laundry tub drain because it was starting to buckle and leak - and in the process the cast iron ring around the top of the drain cracked in half, together with a lot of corroded and/or rusted additional junk. The tub is old - from a 1910 house, and probably original - with 2 drains that sloped down underneath into an oblong "cup" directly against the underside of the tub (see photo) that emptied into one drain. The ring that cracked was around the oblong cup. The sloping parts seem to be part of the "cup" (I took the screws out, which were badly rusted, but can't get the rest to budge...it seems to be rusted on). The sink might be cast iron or concrete...about 1 1/8" thick. The colors are a little off - it's grey. The drain was 1 1/2", the holes about 1 1/2", edge is about 1/2"-5/8" from tub divider, which is about 1 1/8" wide - so about 5" total, edge to edge, or about 3 5/8" center to center. Is there anything I can do to get a working drain again? The washer empties into this! (I'm a sometimes handy homeowner). underneath_sink_03_.jpg

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks like it's time for a new fiberglass/ plastic laundry tub. It is most likely concrete. A sledge hammer will make short work of it and it can be carried out in pieces and in a 5 gallon bucket.

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
It's a putty cup connection. See if you can find a new putty cup tail piece and a putty cup washer and bolt it back on the drain connection and hook it back up to the trap.

Or replace the damn tub. Four pound short handled sledge will do the trick.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You would have to find a funnel taipiece and bracket, neither of which I have seen in the past 30 years, although if they are still common in your area a good hardware store may have them. Offhand, I would say that your best, and maybe only, option is to replace it. But if its only function is for the washer drain, you may be able to install a trap and standpipe for the washer.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Google is your friend

Search for {"funnel tailpiece" FG0025}. I'd post the result, but it's one of the forbidden URLs on this forum. I'm pretty sure it is what you're looking for; about $20. Thanks to HJ for coming up with the name of the thing.

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
It used to be called "putty cup". and you would order it with a putty cup washer. Just a beveled rubber washer.

andersod2

Reaction score
wow!

I'm impressed! in one day the problem is solved....(once I figure out how to get the rusted one out....a friend suggested liquid wrench...does this work better than WD40?) needless to say, thanks so much!

Mikey said:
Search for {"funnel tailpiece" FG0025}. I'd post the result, but it's one of the forbidden URLs on this forum. I'm pretty sure it is what you're looking for; about $20. Thanks to HJ for coming up with the name of the thing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tailpiece

You don't "get the rusted one out" from what I see in your picture. That piece is part of the sink. Two bolt heads slide into those slots, then the funnel tailpiece is placed against that tapered portion, with putty in it, and a cast iron retainer, either a new one or the one from your old tailpiece slides up against it, and two nuts and washers are threaded onto the exposed bolts to keep everything together.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
luck is with you--maybe

you might have goten lucky and got that
putty cup to come out , but I have never
touched one that did not leak or seep out
through the concrete edjees of it......

if it all goes together and everything looks good
well you got lucky

if it leaks a slight bit, I have bought a full tube
of clear silicone ...and after totally drying
the whole area .... smeared the whole tube
up there and made a very thick "half assed" seal
moulding it with my hand around that putty cup

that has got me out of lots of troubles over the years...