Bracing a stud that has been cut too much

Users who are viewing this thread

calf85

Reaction score
I'm installing a bathroom above an existing one, and when running the shower drain pipe I got overzealous without thinking and cut a 3" hole in a 2x4 for the drain (red circle in photo). Only 2 3/8" is allowed by code. How do I brace this to pass inspection? I was thinking about putting 2x8 blocking above and below the cut and then running king studs (with the 4" side facing out) down to the sill plate. Previous builder did something similar (yellow circle). Is that sufficient? This is old construction with 2" actual studs, plus it's at an angle, so I can't just use a stud shoe. Thoughts?

ju1bd.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If it is a non supporting wall, no problem adding some bracing of any kind. If it is a supporting wall, you may need to add a 2x4 wall in front of this work and lose 4 inches of space into the room.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks