Blower motor runs in ON but not auto (for heat or a/c)

Users who are viewing this thread

Xeo

Reaction score
Howdy! Our blower motor went out a couple of days ago. It was an old af 2 speeder. I replaced it with a 4speed and hooked the wires the same as the previous one. When the tstat sets the Fan to ON it kicks on no problem. When I set it to heat, the flame comes on but the blower motor never comes on. I've tried the same with the AC. The AC unit isn't kicking on nor is the fan.

When I replaced the blower motor I did have to unhook the thermostat wires for the AC unit. I hooked them back up the same way as before though... so I'm not really sure where I'm at now. I assume its something to do w/the tstat but... yea, 0 ideas.

The furnace is Rheem: Crition II Gas Furnace. I'm including any photos that might be useful. I tried doing a video but its way too large of a file to upload.

Edit: When the furnace is turned on and the flames are going I THINK I hear a 'click' like it's calling for the blower motor? I'm not sure that should have a clicking sound or if that's even what I'm hearing correctly. Disregard if this sounds like bad information.

Edit 2: The way I knew it was our blower motor is it started smoking. When I took it to Johnstone he said yep, it's toast. It did have some scorch marks that I found on it later where I'm assuming it sparked on itself. Could that have messed something up on the control board?

New motor info - New motor

Old motor info - Old motor

Thermostat before unwired - Tstat wiring pre-unhooking (red on the right and white on the left are all that got unhooked)

B244F566-FD8D-4160-86A3-A5E239C8843F.jpg - Tstat after I hooked the wires back in.

IMG_4853.jpg - Wiring schematic (not sure if this is helpful)

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
When thermostat is switch to the on position it turns on the air conditioning fan speed usually hi speed. In heat no signal from thermostat with a gas furnace a fan control takes over normally by temperature. About 120- 130° turns on and off 80°. How many wires going to the old motor and colors? How many from the new motor or pic of the motor tag 7 wires? Buy a capacitor? Can't read your wiring diagram with me tablet can't blow it up will have to fire my computer up. Normally two brown wires go to the capacitor, white to white, black to black and yellow or orange to red- furnace. All unused wire nut or tape each wire separately.

Last edited:

Xeo

Reaction score
When thermostat is switch to the on position it turns on the air conditioning fan speed usually hi speed. In heat no signal from thermostat with a gas furnace a fan control takes over normally by temperature. About 120- 130° turns on and off 80°. How many wires going to the old motor and colors? How many from the new motor or pic of the motor tag 7 wires? Buy a capacitor? Can't read your wiring diagram with me tablet can't blow it up will have to fire my computer up. Normally two brown wires go to the capacitor, white to white, black to black and yellow or orange to red- furnace. All unused wire nut or tape each wire separately.
Thanks Fitter for the help.

Old motor (1/2hp): Brown x2(capacitor), Yellow(fan), White(neutral), Red(heat), Blue(m2), Black(cool)
New Motor: Brown, Brown/White, Yellow, White, Red, Blue, Black, Green (all plugged into the same places as the old one)

I've let the furnace run for about 3mins and the blower motor never kicked on. I figured it wasn't safe to leave it going for too long. Should I try longer?

The new motor came with a capacitor so I switched it out. The old cap was 7.5v and so I hooked up the new cap to 7.5v as well.

The original wiring had yellow on fan, Blue on M2, Red on heat, Black on cool, White on neutral. I've hooked the new motor up to the same colors. Both browns go to the capacitor and green is grounded to the casing.

Edit: The wiring lists the following colors / speeds:
Black - Hi - Cool
Yellow - M-Lo - Heat
Blue - M-Hi - M2
Red - Lo - Fan

Edit 2: I tried switching the red and yellow lines. The blower motor doesn't kick on anymore when fan is set to on. The A/C still doesn't respond (but I guess it shouldn't help with that anyway). Blower motor doesn't kick on for heat either.

In all 3 cases I do hear an electrical click like its calling for it but nothings happening.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Looking at the diagram they don't show any fan controls for heating. It must be on the board but diagram doesn't show any relays on your diagram. More that likely when the motor smoked it took out the board that times out the start and stop. Supply house give you another motor? The way the old motor looks bet the blower needs to be clean with soap and garden hose. Have ac the A coil is dirty also.

Xeo

Reaction score
Looking at the diagram they don't show any fan controls for heating. It must be on the board but diagram doesn't show any relays on your diagram. More that likely when the motor smoked it took out the board that times out the start and stop. Supply house give you another motor? The way the old motor looks bet the blower needs to be clean with soap and garden hose. Have ac the A coil is dirty also.
Thanks Fitter. I did clean the fan housing when I took the motor out. It looked like a long haired cat had crawled inside of it and died lol.

How hard is replacing a control board? Would it be worth trying to do it myself or just suck it up and pay an hvac tech?

Thanks again for your help.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thanks Fitter. I did clean the fan housing when I took the motor out. It looked like a long haired cat had crawled inside of it and died lol.

How hard is replacing a control board? Would it be worth trying to do it myself or just suck it up and pay an hvac tech?

Thanks again for your help.
If you can get the exact replacement take a picture of the board and wires. Ebay might also have it and appliance parts on the web.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks