Best Quality Brass Cleanout Cap

Users who are viewing this thread

Guild5

Reaction score
Hello and Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer my question. I had to quickly replace a brass 3 in cleanout cap in my basement. It developed a pinhole at the nut (my fault). I got an Oatey 3in brass cleanout at a big box store. It fits fine, but it's awfully thin. My previous one was heavier, made by Charlotte. I looked everywhere but couldn't find that exact one or an equivalent. Does anyone know where I can find a good quality 3in brass cleanout cap? I may be off base but my area experiences sewer backups occasionally. I also have a Tramco lift station, so between a possible sewer backup and the discharging of the lift station I imagine there is a lot of pressure and I'm worried this thin brass may not hold up.

Reach4

Reaction score
These are made to be chiseled out if need be. So thin may not be the disadvantage that you think.

Plastic would not rust, so that seems like an option.

They make lead plugs which can screw in to damaged threads better.

Guild5

Reaction score
The threads are OK I am just worried that this new brass cap being so thin it would not take the pressure if the city sewers get overloaded and a backup occurs. The old charlotte pipe one i had was so much heavier. Thank you for responding to me

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Thre best quality brass cleanout plug isn't brass it's plastic.

Did you know plastic is NOT legal in commercial establishments. I am on a case now where a drain cleaning company installed a
Thre best quality brass cleanout plug isn't brass it's plastic.
Did you know "plastic" is not allowed in commercial applications in NYC.

The only justifiable reason to use plastic is for chemical waste or chlorine such as recirculation lines in pools

We use CI for waste and vent, Brass CO plugs , Copper type L for above ground water supply and hot water heating and type K tubing for under ground service and black steel for gas piping.

If a brass plug cannot fit because of damaged threads a Lead fits all plug is still a better option then plastic

We also never use Jim caps BUT we do use a no hub coupling and a CI cap

Attachments

• PIPINGG.jpg
    PIPINGG.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 73
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks