Becoming a Plumber...

Users who are viewing this thread

Daisyflower

Reaction score
Hello,

I apologize in advance because I am not positive where to put this.

I wanted to reach out to you professional plumbers here and ask some questions about the trade, and specifically the training for it.

I have an opportunity with the UA union to enter a 5 year apprenticeship program to be a licensed journeyman at the end. It seems like most of the work would be on commercial construction sites.

From what I can read, the union apprenticeships are good, rigorous programs. What is your opinion?

I like the prospect of learning to be a plumber but that does not come without concerns.

What is appealing is the future independence one can gain from knowing a trade inside and out and being able one day to own a business virtually anywhere in the country. I am intelligent, thorough and good with people which I think would go a long way at some point. I am relatively young at 28 and have a family too-so being able to work to provide for them pretty consistently is important.

Plumbing scares me less than electrical and I would have assumed more of my work would be on the ground...but...that leads to some of my concerns.

Do plumbers work off of ladders/scaffolding/lifts/scissor lifts frequently? It seems like they could in new commercial/residential construction. I never thought of that before since I only have a limited view of what plumbers actually do (ie. residential service calls).

I am not afraid of being up high in general (like planes, tall buildings, etc), but I do fear falling from up high on some unstable surface/ladder/lift.

I can only imagine the torment the journeymen and other apprentices might put me through if I weren't gung-ho up a ladder! I have no interest being up a ladder or scissor lift with some idiot shaking it for fun or something like that.

And that leads me to my next question-for those of you who learned through this path, what is the level of "professionalism" for lack of a better term? I tend to be more serious when I work especially when it comes to safety and doing things properly. Being around coworkers who are half drunk or high when they are working is not something I would be comfortable with. I have read some horror stories about that and some others where the environment is "more professional".

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've only seen one job where drinking was being done. They were the framers, and one day in the Summer, the head framer fell down the elevator shaft and broke his leg. Lucky it wasn't very far at that point. He was pretty hammered. :)

Nobody should do drugs or booze while handling any kind of tool.

Construction sites can be tough, but you learn the methods of working alongside other personalities. People say what they say without filters. It does provide a nice living, and plenty of options for work around the world. I enjoy it.

Nobody is messing with people on ladders. Nobody is that stupid.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
As a former tradesman (mechanical) I can tell you that your coworkers will respect you and appreciate you if you are good at your job and willing to do your fair share. But if your a lousy plumber (or whatever trade you take up) or worse thought of as being lazy, then your work environment will be rough. If your incompetent and/or lazy, then your only hope of survival is to get a job in a Public organization (City, Sate, Municipality, etc.) as opposed to working for a Private company. IMHO

Good luck.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
What you put into plumbing you get out of it ,this what I was told when I signed up for plumbers local UA #2 when I was 21 right out of the USN

I had a 5 year, 10,000 hour apprenticeship and 744 hours of class room studies codes and math formulas etc. After passing my journeymen 's license I had to work another 5 years in the profession before being eligible to take the 4 part masters exams

Now over 48 years later I am a multi millionaire and continue to take CEU's and also have a masters license in fire suppression piping

The profession is severely lacking really skilled mechanics and I recently hired a gentleman from Europe and after 4 month I decided to pay him $75.00 per hr plus commissions before the end of this year he will be paid $100 per hr

The problem is not to many people want top start at the bottom of the ladder as the UA starts people at min wage

The apprenticeship program is an investment in your future ....The income is potential unlimited

Last edited:

PlumberLehigh

Reaction score
What you put into plumbing you get out of it ,this what I was told when I signed up for plumbers local UA #2 when I was 21 right out of the USN

I had a 5 year, 10,000 hour apprenticeship and 744 hours of class room studies codes and math formulas etc. After passing my journeymen 's license I had to work another 5 years in the profession before being eligible to take the 4 part masters exams

Now over 48 years later I am a multi millionaire and continue to take CEU's and also have a masters license in fire suppression piping

The profession is severely lacking really skilled mechanics and I recently hired a gentleman from Europe and after 4 month I decided to pay him $75.00 per hr plus commissions before the end of this year he will be paid $100 per hr

The problem is not to many people want top start at the bottom of the ladder as the UA starts people at min wage

The apprenticeship program is an investment in your future ....The income is potential unlimited

Wow! That is pretty incredible. I just finished my program last year and have started my journeyman apprenticeship. I know plumbers can do well in life, but I didn't know that well. How many locations do you have for your business?

Daisyflower

Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback!

I feel somewhat better knowing that there is respect and professionalism if it is "earned", basically.

How often would you all say as plumber you have to work in the air off of ladders, lifts, etc?

Thanks!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The real bucks come with experience and documented formal training such as collecting master plumbing /fire suppression piping licenses.

I was thinking of what would I do when I am too old to do the physical work and want to semi retire .

I found being an expert witness pays amazing well over $350 per hr just sitting around a court room for several days waiting to be called to testify

All that is normally required is having a great understanding of codes so you can argue for or against the victims citing different codes.

In USA justice system there is no right or wrong in open court it is win or lose and knowing the codes you can razzle and dazzle the jury and in some cases the judge and get the verdict you were paid to achieve

More then half of the 31 law firms I work for were firms that had to shell out big bucks when I testified against their clients.

Nothing personal its just doing business especially in the personal injury game

Remember the old hag who was scalded by Mc Donald's coffee ? That opened the flood gates for no one to take personal responsibility

Look at the water heaters labels "hot water can burn" "Flammable liquids are dangerous" so now we have heaters with flame safe guards that are full of problems with thermocouple failures and lots of other problems that help plumbers stay in a thriving business

Over 20 years I was testifying that water over 125 DEF was too hot and the water temperature at the shower was over 140 def F
an old lady was scalded and I was paid over $12,000 for the day because the jury awarded her over 2 million dollars for pain and suffering and I was given a tip from her.

About a month and a half later I was testing in the same court house " the water is only 140 degree F and it is way to cold"

I did not realize it was the same judge. She called a 15 minute recess and called me into her chamber asking if I knew what perjury is . I said yes your honor when did I perjure myself

She said about a month ago I said oh the scalding case and she said yes I said well your honor this is a food poisoning case and the commercial had dishwasher had a maximum water supply of 140 deg F which is not enough to meet health code standards which require 160 - 180 deg F in lieu of chemicals for sterilization

She said your walking a thin line but I will allow your testimony to stand

Several of my accounts were judges living in my area and they heard about the tight rope walking plumber as one called me

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I met a lawyer today as the "victim" was taking a shower the water became extremely cold and the guy fell in the tub and required over 70 stitches on his skull suffered a broken arm and other cuts as he fell through the glass shower door

Seems a NON licensed stumble bum calling himself a plumber shut the hot water 3" riser in an apartment building and poor guy was showering and the idiot dd not notify anyone he was shutting off the line :(

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I know plumbers can do well in life, but I didn't know that well
As the medical advertisements warn, "You cannot expect to have the same results". And, sometimes, working for a "big" contractor, may not give you a well rounded education. As one applicant stated, "he was an expert at installing bathtubs with five years experience".

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
No matter what trade you go for, all trades are getting hard to find (licensed or certified) people as us baby boomers retire. Across all trades there are shortages and that includes diesel mechanics. Cummings has a program that offers free training and certification and I know one young man in the program.

As far as ladders and heights, in your training there will be a ladder and lift safety classes. When I was with New York Telephone, I had two weeks of ladder and pole climbing training and about 90% was on safety. You do learn how to use ladders and the proper way to support them to prevent them from falling and all lift users now must wear a safety harness. OSHA has forced safety requirements and a lot of it is by insurance companies. Less accidents, less money lost.

As you asked commercial or residential, commercial will be the most in demand work since in some areas licensed trades can only work on construction projects. Millions of dollars are at stake to make deadlines and improper installations can mean a lot more dollars to fix the errors. If you do well you'll be in demand. In union areas of the country, it used to be and maybe it has changed, generally it was five apprentices working under one journeyman.

The most important part of any profession is being reliable, dependable (both are the same) and trustworthy. Ask any business owner and when someone is doesn't show up for work, is always late, always has excuses and his or her work is marginal, you won't last. When your in the trade for a while people will know when someone is trustworthy, suppliers know that they'll get paid, your are trusted that the job will get done and the work is honestly performed. You'll do very well.

As far as pay you'll never be poor and will always have work, but the pay scales are all over the place depending the area of the country. FYI, Sylvan is in NYC and they pay big time there but you should ask him what a can of Coke cost in NYC? :)

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A can of coke $2.00+ in Manhattan Parking lots $60.00 a day parking , tickets over $100

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
A can of coke $2.00+ in Manhattan Parking lots $60.00 a day parking , tickets over $100

In 1977 I was in Manhattan for training. The vending machine was $1.50 a can when else were it was 50 or 75 cents. It’s why I mentioned it. All of the out of towners where in shock. I was from LI.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"In 1977 I was in Manhattan for training. The vending machine was $1.50 a can when else were it was 50 or 75 cents."

Now hopefully people will realize why I charge $200 per hr or any part thereof and why I charge $200 per hr hr when snaking or water jetting lines

Insurance here is crazy

sylvan-snaking-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would think parking fees, and just driving around looking for a parking spot, (and waiting for elevators), would be a bigger factor in your charges than the cost of a can of pop. Besides, New Yorkers are used to paying higher prices than elsewhere. It is probably like a badge of honor withthem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks