Beat the drought! Pumping & filtering a seeping spring

Users who are viewing this thread

Medwar

Reaction score
The drought is upon us here in the west, and I'm finally getting around to tapping a seeping (~ 1 gpm) spring in a seasonal creek on our property. Goal is to pump the water about 30 ft. vertically, and 80 ft. linearly to a ~500 gallon holding tank. Its unclear what our rights are to the water, so I'm trying to avoid building a spring box or anything even semi-permanent in the creek. I can get 120 ac power to the area easily, and would like to set the system up to come on automatically during off-peak energy hours and shutoff automatically when the tank is full. I realize this is a very involved question/ design, but any guidance/ designs/ equipment suggestions you can provide is hugely appreciated. Thank you thank you.

Some specific questions/ details:

- The water is very silty in the creek. I filled a 32 oz jar and it took about 5 days for it to settle to clear. Is a shallow-well pump with a filter a good idea here?

- What would be the best setup for auto timer/ shutoff based on tank level?

Thank you thank you thank you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The silt will make it hard for a shallow well jet pump to stay primed. The silt keeps the check valve from searing. A 1/2HP, 10 GPM submersible well pump with a 1 GPM Dole valve would work well, if you have enough room and depth to install it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks