Bathtub Trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

jibit3

Reaction score
I bought a foreclosed home about a year ago that is less then five years old. The previous owner demo'd the tub-shower, but never finished the job. I'm in the process of renovating and had a few questions.

01) In newer homes, could the trap be located further down the line from the fixture drain; perhaps under the slab of the tub? If so, should I install a drain kit to the drain line as seen in "Master Drain"?

Guest Drain Master Drain
Drain - Guest.jpg Drain - Master.jpg

I understand every plumbing fixture which drains must have a trap to prevent sewer gases from entering the home. I ask because I assume the guest and master bath tubs were installed similarly (but possibly not). If this is the case however, i'd just have to run a drain kit to the drain line. as seen in "Master Drain". The red pencil in "Guest Drain" is the center of the bathtub drain. Please note the drain line in the guest bathroom is surrounded with soil and the master bathroom drain line is surrounded with concrete. I have not smelled a sewer odor inside the home over the last year.

02) Is it possible to buy the individual components of a faucet assembly or is it more cost effective to purchase an entire new faucet assembly? Like cover plate, handle etc.

Guest Faucet Ass. Master Faucet Ass.
Fuacet Assembly - Guest.jpg Fuacet Assembly - Master.jpg

Apologies if "Faucet Assembly" is the wrong term.
What you see in "Guest Faucet Ass." is all that I have for the Guest Bathroom. I suspect the same hardware was used in the master shower. I believe the Master Faucet Ass. is Delta Monitor, but can't pin point the model.

03) Minimum wall depth for a faucet assembly is typically 2-3/4 inches?

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and wisdom in advance. It is greatly appreciated!
Blow ups below for everyone's convenience.

Drain - Guest.jpg

Guest Drain
Drain - Master.jpg

Master Drain
Fuacet Assembly - Guest.jpg

Guest Faucet Ass.
Fuacet Assembly - Master.jpg

Master Faucet Ass.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. The trap could be under the slab. I always verify, never assume anything, because I wasn't there when it was built. Dig in the hole to expose the drain and hopefully the trap. Once you verify, you can do the drain per instructions. There are various drain sets out there, but they all work on the same principal. Not sure? watch some demos on YouTube.

2. Many faucets are sold rough in and trim together. Other faucets are sold separately. Don't try to economize, get a reliable set, so you get many years of good service. Save money elsewhere.

3. That depends on the rough in and the finish wall/tile etc. The instructions will have information on the depth. It's important to position the rough in correctly, because it's costly to have to correct after tiling. Remember, the rough in has to be secured to the framing/blocking.

Now go and do it and send some pics.

jibit3

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply dj2!

How is Peerless quality wise?
I was told it has similar quality to Delta since Delta owns Peerless. Not sure if that's true or not of course.

Smythers

Reaction score
Hiya,

Just wanted to echo dj2's response.

#1. Definitely verify that trap is there. It'd be a pain to install one after the new tub is in.

#2. It is entirely possible to buy parts to complete the faucet assembly/kit, many big box stores carry those parts. But honestly, spend the $$$ and get a fresh kit. It'll have instructions in it which will answer #3. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to try and save a buck :)

#3. If you decided to not get a new faucet assembly/kit, it looks like you've got yourself one of those MultiChoice® Universal Shower Rough - Prefab PEX Crimp sets.

[EDIT] Model#: R10000-PFS-PX [/EDIT]

Here's a link to the product details, they have the installation manual there for you too:

https://www.deltafaucet.com/bathroom/product/R10000-PFS-PX

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"How is Peerless quality wise?"

Peerless faucets are very good.
Both Delta and Peerless are part of Masco Corp, with excellent warranty support.
For a tub/shower my first choice is Moen 62300 series. It's a compact body size makes it easy to install in tight spaces.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks