Bathtub Overflow Question from an Utter Novice

Users who are viewing this thread

MuddieGal

Reaction score
I figured this would be the best place to ask this question since I've exhausted my search options on Google trying to find a direct answer.

I'll start off by saying I am in no way a plumber at ALL. I am very good at problem solving and as a single mom in the past have managed to learn to fix a LOT of things on my own out of necessity from washing machines and dryers to my own car. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right? Probably why I'm better at fixing things around the house than my current husband. LOL. He's never HAD to do for himself in the same way.

Alright now on to the issue/problem.

My bathtub overflow valve has developed a leak somewhere in that when you try to take a bath you can hear the pouring out of water onto the concrete of the basement directly below the bathroom. (The basement isn't finished and the pipes from the ceiling of it are exposed.) Now, I COULD climb up in there track down where exactly the problem is and fix it from the overflow pipes like I did when the main drain pipe became loose and was doing the exact same thing anytime the tub was used (shower or bath) but......

Honestly? I don't want to.

I have a couple reasons for this. One, I'm tired of being the one fixing everything and being the man AND the woman of the house but also I'd kinda like for the tub to fill a bit more to actually be able to soak more than my ankles and legs in a bath ya know? It's an American something or other brand from Lowes (the cheaper kind that had the hard plastic lining walls that came with it) kind of tub without any of the bells and whistles or jets or any of that business and has a standard 2 screw overflow plate on it. So it's not that deep of a tub to begin with.

So here's my thoughts and what I want to know is if this would be a feasible solution (even if I might have to repeat it in the nearish future to maintain it that's fine).

I was thinking, I don't really NEED an overflow. I'm a grown ass adult and I'm not gonna be walking away from it and letting it overflow to begin with and there's no one else in the house that takes baths but me. (There's just the two of us here). What if I used something like a silicone caulking/sealant type stuff like I used on the seam around the tub itself to seal up that hole on the bottom of the plate and the edges of it around the plate? Maybe leaving a small portion unsealed at the top to allow better drainage from the main drain (ie: letting a little air in)?

Would this be a doable thing? What do I REALLY need this overflow for anyway other than to well, keep it from overflowing which I'm not gonna let it do in the first place?

Being reasonable though and not an egomaniac I thought I might turn to folks with more experience and knowledge on these matters than I have prior to actually doing it in case there are factors that I'm just not aware of. I'd love to hear from you. I did look at the products online that cover them to keep out water but from what I saw those don't always work and still allow water through (which means water falling out in the basement) or require you to let a little overflow first to create a suction (again water falling out in the basement) which kinda defeats the purpose.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Long story, but my answer will be short:
It's your tub, do what you want with it.
However, plumbing has code, and everyone knows you have to follow it.
If your overflow leaks, it's probably because the rubber washer is not stopping water. Just replace it or get a plumber, and then again the leak could be from another source.
I can't see it on my computer screen.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's leaking when the water gets to the overflow, it's the overflow gasket.
If you want the water a little higher, you can sometimes turn the overflow plate so that the water inlet is towards the top.

I do remember as a very young person at my grandmothers farm in Chimacum, WA turning on the tub and then going downstairs while the tub was filling. After a while, water started pouring through the ceiling of the dining room. Wow! Was my grandmother and mother upset with me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks