Bathroom Remodel Massive Snowball Effect

Users who are viewing this thread

Jonathan Alburty

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently remodeling an upstairs bathroom of a house my wife and I bought about 2 years ago. The house was built in the 20s. What started as a simple sprucing up led to tearing up tile, old hardwood, sub floor, old plumbing, repairing joists cut by the previous installation, re doing the range vent, rewiring the kitchen, 2 bathrooms, breakfast nook, hallway, etc. Everything I do uncovers more issues and hack jobs by previous owners (90 plus years is a long time for people to touch stuff).

So far I have replaced the 3" vent that goes through the roof as the old resembled swiss cheese as well as tearing out the leaded ci joint and using a donut to hook this bathroom up (4x4 donut with 3x4 flush bush). The reason for my posting is that after all this is done I poured a few gallons of water down the pipe and found out the vertical ci pipe where is goes from the upstairs down to the basement is leaking somewhere in the wall. So at this point the plan is the replace or have replaced the plumbing for the whole house to fix all of the other issues the plumbing has (santees on their backs, no fixture vents, rubber couplers without shields).

I am under ipc 2012. I would like for this to all work well and if it is recommended to exceed requirement of the ipc then so be it. I want it done right and to never touch it again. The decision has not been made as to whether to have this done or do it myself, but regardless I would like to have a very good understanding of what will work and what is correct. I have been in and around this house alot (low voltage wiring, fresh water, ac wiring) and I know where the possible channels are for piping and vents. I am very hands on and like to learn.

I have attached a schematic of my proposed layout. There is actually another bathroom to the left of the picture that exits the house separately, and it separately vented. I am not going to do any explanation of what I drew as I would imagine it will be easier to look, unless anyone has questions or comments.

Edit, I said I wasnt going to explain any.... on the downstairs lav with the aav, the vent next to the waste stack at this point is not for the lav. In the future the bath and wc are going to swap locations. This vent will be for the bath after it is moved as it will tie into the arm from the lav. The vent currently serving the downstairs bath will then serve the wc. Better to run the vents with the wall torn out I would think.

The downstairs wc goes horizontal, 45s horizontally, then 45s down to the trunk line. This is done to avoid a window in the basement.

Attachments

• 20190121_210352.jpg
    20190121_210352.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I see the upstairs lav wet venting the shower.
I think the AAV would be better under the lav there and accessible. In the attic it may become forgotten. You cold also revent that to the 3" going out the roof.
Right now the downstairs tub is wet venting the toilet in that bathroom.

Jonathan Alburty

Reaction score
The only reason I put it in the attic is because I am using a wall mount sink. I could run it out the roof but I really dont want a hole cut in my 3 year old roof. I could revent to the 3" but this bathroom is in a dormer and there is a window directly to the right of the 3" vent. I am thinking I would have to use some form of loop vent to get it to the 3". I could get it above the highest fixture flood rim in the wall (even 4 feet above potentially), could it then go down below flood rim and horizontal or would it need to connect back to a drain line vertically before going horizontal? Without connecting vertically it could be set up to ensure drainage of any condensation, but it would drain to one of the vent lines from the downstairs. Is the 1.5" fine for that vent?

Also, thanks for fixing up my picture.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
aav_in_wall.jpg

I've used these in the wall for AAV's. It allows access and air input.

studor_grill.jpg

It's one way to do it.
The 1.5" vent is fine for the lav. The wet vent portion is the 2" on the drain side below the trap.

I guess you could have it in the attic...........I can't see the next owner knowing what it is up there.

Themp

Reaction score
Just was staying in a 100 year old house that had been renovated with a new guest bathroom. The tub and sink were plumbed to an AAV under the sink in the cabinet. When you opened the drain in the bath, the AAV started to go into an open and close cycle based on the water draining and you could hear the noise of the water rushing down the pipes when it was open. The noise was quite loud and I had to open the cabinet to see what was going on. Did not know they would be so noisy. Maybe putting it in the attic is an alright idea based on the noise factor.

Jonathan Alburty

Reaction score
Two valid things I had not even considered; future owners of the house (wife tells me we are never moving) and the noise from an AAV. Those will both be considered. For that vent I will probably have it ran out the roof as much as I hate cutting a hole in new shingles.

On the downstairs lav, it's a little more complicated than the drawings depicts. The wall is not load bearing but the issue is the studs are facing the wrong direction, 2x4s on the flat, not on edge. This really gives not much room. It is ran through the wall right now with 1.25 threaded pipe, and no drainage fittings. The plan is from the trap down use 1.5" DWV copper until it gets into the basement then convert to PVC using a mission coupling.
For the vent however, the wife wants a pedestal sink so an AAV would not be desirable from an aesthetics perspective, plus I'm not sure how you could get the pipe out of the wall to connect the AAV without going horizontal. I don't believe there is enough room for an in wall access box for the AAV (~1.625 wall depth, old 2x4s). I did stumble upon the Studor trap-vent. Had anyone used one of these? https://www.ipscorp.com/plumbing/studor/trapvent

Without using an AAV or the trap-vent, after reassessing I could probably run a dry vent up into the upstairs bathroom floor and revent to the 3", IF I rerouted some electrical cables. This vent could be ran in 1.25" copper with a reducer and a couple 45s which should be fine serving just the lav. The 1.5 would not fit without destroying the wall, it is still lath and plaster which I do not want removed.

What shall I do?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With a pedestal, there's no room for the AAV no matter how its done under there. You do need to vent though. Does the wall need to be that thin?

Jonathan Alburty

Reaction score
Good to know. I do not have the sink as the vanity that is in there now is staying for the foreseeable future, but I like to plan ahead.

I would suppose the wall could be thicker, that would certainly make things easier. I think it was done just to gain a couple more inches of room as it's a pretty narrow bathroom. As it sits now the front of the toilet bowl is 14 inches from the tub.

Reach4

Reaction score
So 29.5 for the bowl to the wall. A different elongated toilet might gain an inch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks