Bath tub spout can be rotated

Users who are viewing this thread

TommyTunes

Reaction score
I have a weird setup in my bathtub. The tub spout is attached to the normal 1/2" copper stub, but if you grab the spout it can be moved from side to side. The copper line coming down from the mixing valve is regular 1/2" copper but it goes into some type of "swivel fitting", that allows the stub inside the tub spout to move to the left, or move to the right. Quite a bit of rotation, maybe a total of 2" (1" to the left and 1" to the right). This appears to be by design, because of the fitting behind the spout. It never leaks. I've contemplated changing it, just because it "feels" flimsy.

My question is, does anybody recognize this type of fitting, and know what it is called?

Thanks for any and all help!

Tommy

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like some dweeble used a Shark-bite elbow. Should be a rigid installation, soldered copper el.

TommyTunes

Reaction score
Here is an image of the mixing valve with the copper line for the stub out on the bottom. The vertical copper piece below the fitting that is covered in white sealant is the "other end" of the 1/2 copper stub out for the tub spout. It is strapped so it can't move up and down, but it will go left and right, and that rotation is happening right at that fitting. Note the copper pipe has no 90 in it--it is pre-bent for a 90 degree turn into the tub. It can rotate at the indentation right below the white-covered fitting. Does this help to identify it?

What is this type of fitting SUPPOSED to be used for?

help to identify it?

IMG-20180510-WA0001.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When they installed that piece, they needed to tighten it at least one more turn, but a better solution would have been to solder it which still could be done but not easily since it can no longer be turned. Is it possible that that is a compression/union type fitting? IF so, just tighten the nut until the part the spout is on stops moving. Because of the long lever, a threaded L-shaped piece is not a great idea.

That does sort of look like it may be a pex copper stubout.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a pex cu stub-out. Someone put a couple of O-rings on it and jammed it up into a 1/2 male X whatever and tried to make it work.

If it worked he wouldn't be posting here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks