Bath Sink Drain Question - Is this ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

derekfd

Reaction score
Am finishing the basement and I hired a licensed plumber to redo the drain lines for the bathroom. My question is in regards to how he ran the drain lines for the bathroom sink. In the picture you'll see an 1 1/2" stubout followed by a 90 then he used a street 45 into a Wye to connect to the vertical drain/vent pipe. The Wye is 2" and you'll see hes got reducers to connect to the street 45 and vent pipe (theres an AAV in that vent pipe a couple feet above the top of the photo).

From what I understand typically codes say this sort of horizontal to vertical connection in this case needs to be a sanitary tee, not a 45+wye. Is it ok the way this guy did this and if so, why? I'm trying to wrap my head around if for some reason the change in pipe size makes this ok. Not sure if this is up to code, not code but probably ok, or not ok at all and I need to get him out here to fix it. If it is up to code I'm curious as to why, as this seems like an exception to the rule I thought I understood. Trying to imagine why he would run it like this as a sanitary tee seems to me like it would have fit in the same location.

FWIW downstream of what is shown in this picture the 2" pvc meets up with the 4" toilet drain line and then shortly thereafter joins buildings main drain line on it's way out to the street. This is the basement of a 2 family home in New York City.

Attachments

• 20210521_223426.jpg
    20210521_223426.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 152

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I wonder which NYC PLBG inspector would allow an AAV

Was this job filed with the DOB?

NYC PLBG CODE

905.1 Connection.
All individual, branch and circuit vents shall connect to a vent stack, stack vent, or extend to the open air above the roof.

Last edited:

derekfd

Reaction score
It was not. Considering the location and layout of the home there really wasn't a way to connect it to the stack. Honestly I knew about the AAV and was fine with it. Just more curious about this 45+wye situation and if its legit/will lead to siphoning problems

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Wayne FYI

NYC PLBG stated the trap cannot be more than 2 feet from the fixture and the vent cannot be more than 2 feet from the trap so the 6' is contrary to the code we use (for those who like it follow the code)

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see 6' mentioned in this thread (unless I mentioned it, forgot already, and Terry edited it out in the meantime). I understand that NYC has its own code and doesn't follow the IPC.

Cheers, Wayne

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see 6' mentioned in this thread (unless I mentioned it, forgot already, and Terry edited it out in the meantime). I understand that NYC has its own code and doesn't follow the IPC.

Cheers, Wayne

I didn't edit that, I did add the picture with p-traps.
Maybe the homeowner edited it out.

The trap arm should have been off of a santee, not the wye.
For an AAV to be used, it needs access to air and a way to change it out later. They are not always allowed with local codes. Though they do work as advertised when there is other venting through the roof.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
dwv_traps.jpg

* l last picture developed length shall not exceed 6 ft (toilet) this is where I stated the 2 ft plus 2 ft

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks