Bath/shower cartridge identification

Users who are viewing this thread

BobbyAinNC

Reaction score
Hello. New to the forum. DIYer.
cartridge2.jpg
cartridge1.jpg
faucetback.jpg
I have a 3 handle tub/shower. Need to replace the cartridges (I think), but I can't id the rough in or the stems.
Pics attached (hope they're not too large to post). Only markings on the valve rough in are an etched "B", what looks like an overlapped "EX" and the number "0762" on the hot water side. Overall length is about 4 inches and they have a 16 spline broach. I would appreciate any help, suggestions or insults.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure that uses a cartridge. Before cartridges, there were washers and seats.

Look into the hole in the wall, and see if you can see a hex or square hole that could engage a seat wrench.

That rubber thing on the top of your picture would be a washer. It would mate with a seat. I am not a plumber.

BobbyAinNC

Reaction score
You're correct. Wrong terminology. It's a stem with a seat. Not sure a washer change will do it. Not clear in picture, but there are some chips in the collar around that washer. Off to Lowe's tomorrow. I'm not a plumber either, but if I can't figure it out I'm not to proud to call one. Lol. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Replacing just the washer can help, but you really want to replace the seat too.

BobbyAinNC

Reaction score
Apparently, not all seats are created equal. If I knew the brand of the stem/rough in, I could do that. Washer helped so it doesn't drip, but now the hot stem leaks when I turn on the cold water. Probably (age) related. I'm not even sure how old it is. It was either installed in 1975 during a house remodel before I owned it, or it's from 1955 when house was built. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Apparently, not all seats are created equal. If I knew the brand of the stem/rough in, I could do that. Washer helped so it doesn't drip, but now the hot stem leaks when I turn on the cold water. Probably (age) related. I'm not even sure how old it is. It was either installed in 1975 during a house remodel before I owned it, or it's from 1955 when house was built. Thanks.
Pull one of the seats. A seat wrench may be the right tool, but if you have big Allan wrenches and the hole is hex, that could be the preferred too.

Take that seat and the stem in you photo, to your full-service hardware store, or a plumbing supply place if you have one close enough.

It is also possible that a big box store would have the seats you need.

There also exists a seat grinder to re-shape the seat. I have never used one.

BobbyAinNC

Reaction score
I'm calling it done for now. the cross-handle leak doesn't seem to be bothering anything. Back side is dry. No drip when I shut it off. No big box or plumbing supply near here. Even the nearest Lowe's is a 25 mile round trip for me. I might pull the seat if I need to replace the washer again. Maybe someday someone will see this thread & be able to actually identify what I've got. Until then... Maybe one of my 30-something sons has a plumber friend. Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks