Bath drain connection leak - troubleshooting

Users who are viewing this thread

Leslie_B

Reaction score
I discovered a small leak coming from between this connector on my tub drain (see arrows on photo). I haven't been able to determine if it's coming from both spots or just one. It only happens when a full tub is draining -- and it's not much water, maybe a tbsp every time the tub drains -- but I have neighbors living directly below so I'm concerned about long term leaks. Can I use silicone here or does this warrant a more serious repair?

Thank you in advance!

IMG-1098.JPG

Reach4

Reaction score
Unusual setup. I am hoping there is a hidden piece of pipe that those two trap adapters are grabbing.

Can you tighten the nuts? Bottom one to the left, and upper one to the right. I am not a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The slip joint nut on the brass tub drain could be a brass or chromed brass nut and new slip joint washer.
The white nylon slip joint nut and build in washer normally works on the ABS side. Most of the time they are fine. I would hesitant to use Silicone on that.

I can't see the rest of the tub drain, but most of the time we're using a glued up tub drain to get rid of joints like that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks