Attic Plumbing Cover

Users who are viewing this thread

Russ13

Reaction score
So the wife wanted the shower head to come out of the ceiling and for that to happen it has to go into the attic. It's not a long run(4'-5'). I knew this was going to be a challenge because I didn't want any way for the pipes to freeze if we had a cold winter. So I came up with a box to insulate and protect the PEX plumbing. I used 3/4" ply and custom cut the pieces to fit in between the joist. I used Rockwool insulation inside and out of the boxes. Caulked all the seams, joints, and anywhere I thought the cold could creep inside the box. Also, I noticed, while working on this project, that some mice have had a nice little burrow happening through the insulation. Sometimes you can hear they're moving around during the winter. So it also acts as a protection from them chewing on the PEX. On top of that I have blown insulation covering also. I think this should be sufficient for any freeze and chewing possibilities in the attic space for the shower. I guess if anything happens it will just be a pain to access and replace/move but what the wife wants......the wife wants...;)

Attachments

• CeilingBox.jpg
    CeilingBox.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 170
  • CeilingBox1.jpg
    CeilingBox1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 159
  • CeilingBox3.jpg
    CeilingBox3.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 159
  • CeilingBox4.jpg
    CeilingBox4.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 160
  • CeilingBox5.jpg
    CeilingBox5.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 159
  • CeilingBox6.jpg
    CeilingBox6.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 156
  • CeilingBox8.jpg
    CeilingBox8.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 157
  • CeilingBox7.jpg
    CeilingBox7.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 169
  • CeilingBox9.jpg
    CeilingBox9.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 171
  • CeilingBox10.jpg
    CeilingBox10.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 152

Russ13

Reaction score
I don't drill trusses.

I do lay insulation of the lines though.

I didn't cut any of the joists. Only the 3/4" hole for the pipe to go through. The boxes were individually placed between the joists and screwed together. Is that what you mean?

index.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks