At wits end with well need help

Users who are viewing this thread

ghsthnter

Reaction score
hey guys first timer here, anyway here's my problem i live in west mich, just north of G.R and for the past few weeks it has been frigid here,2 weeks ago we woke up to no water,so after 2 hours i got everything unthawed and no problems. but the next 2 days the same thing.
but the 3rd day things were a bit different, now mind you i am disabled and because i can barely walk anymore my oldest son (36) after i got everything working the 2nd day decided that he would help me but he never closed the well house door or turned the heat back on, so now day 3 i go out to get the water running again and suprise no heat and it was down in the teens that night, so i just knew the system was frozen.

so i placed one of those electric heaters that looks like a old time cast iron radiators i picked up from TSC and i let it run on high for two days, and that got my well house up to 95 degrees i figured since the well house is only 5x5x4 and that the concrete floor was also warm everything should be ok, so i fired up the pump and after 15 minutes and trying to prime the well 2 times i gave up but i kept the heat going but at 70 degrees. anyway i checked everything today tank pressure is at 28 psi cut in out is 20/40 i am running a stayrite jet pump http://www.sta-rite.com/ResidentialProduct_sr_ws_jt_SSJC.aspx the pump is at least 20 yrs old but i had it rebuilt last yr and the man that did the work also replaced the motor with a brand new A.O smith motor now after many hours spent with this today i pulled the pump to see if anything was blocking the pump, nothing so i then ran a small hose down the well pipe and it would not go past 8 feet, but i put it all back together and when i reprimed it the system only took maybe a half gallon, so i put the gauge back in and fired it up. the system started building pressure, the 3 rubber hoses all got hard enough that i could not squeeze them and then the pressure stopped at 10 psi when i opened the valve to the house it dropped back down to zero but when i closed the valve it went back to 10. but after 4 or 5 times of switching the valve to the house i finally got 10 lbs of pressure through the whole system, so i let the kichen sink run thinking maybe there was air in the system so i let the water run for 30 minutes but the pressure never gained so i shut the system off as i did not want to burn up the pump.
I am stumped and at a lose when i pulled the pump there was water in the pipe about a 1/2 from the top could there still be ice in the pipe, or is the jet clogged and if so how do i get it out,,,,
the first pic is a new pump the second is mine and the link i posted are the specs

5815.jpg
well 1.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would guess that either the jet nozzle (located where the two pipes connect at the bottom of the well) is clogged, or you have a suction leak somewhere.

ghsthnter

Reaction score
I would guess that either the jet nozzle (located where the two pipes connect at the bottom of the well) is clogged, or you have a suction leak somewhere.
thanks valveman i pulled the pump yesterday and left it off for 6 hours, the water in the pipe never dropped also checked all connections for leaks and none to be found, so after putting everything back together and still same pressure i called the well guy that rebuilt the pump and also drilled this well, he will be out sometime today and is going to try and clear the jet, but i am going to talk to him about putting in a 4'' submersible i think it is time for an upgrade.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks