AS Plebe with tank 4036 - leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Pseudonym

Reaction score
I have an American Standard Plebe with the 1.6gpf 4036 tank in a house I bought five years ago, it was/is in great condition. I'm hoping it's not time to replace it.

It recently developed a leak, showing a black streak down the center of the back of the bowl below the tank. Water on the floor.

I bought a universal tank to bowl kit and replaced the bolts/gasket/washers in the tank and the gasket covering the bottom of the flush valve.

(There didn't seem to be anything amiss with the old gasket covering the flush valve, it is still flexible and not cracking or deteriorating, looks almost as new as the new one. Just something I noticed.)

Before attaching the tank to the toilet, I stood the tank up on the bolts over a towel, and poured enough water in the bottom just up to the lip of the flush valve. Over a few hours this water drained away to the towel. I felt underneath the tank around each of the bolts and they are dry, but the area around the flush valve is damp.

The leak must be coming out around the flush valve?

The flush valve and tube are very brittle yellowed plastic so I'd like to replace it.

Can you tell me what universal flush valve assembly/kit will correctly fit this tank and bowl? The searches I've done so far keep leading to the AS flush valve (discontinued), and not to an aftermarket part. Maybe I'm just not searching with the right words.

Thank you for any help. And of course any opinions about what is going on or what should be done. You guys are so wonderful for newbies like me who have never done any of this before.

Kind regards.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Fluidmaster makes a good tank rebuild kit for the Plebe. It comes with flush valve, fill valve and handle.

Bellow is a Korky replacement fill valve and a Korky flapper.

plebe-tank-01.jpg

Last edited:

Pseudonym

Reaction score
The Fluidmaster flush valve replacement is working great, thank you for that recommendation. The one thing I was 'dubious' about, is the Fluidmaster flush valve rim is up a good 3/4"-1" above the floor of the tank, leaving that much water behind on the bottom of the tank during a flush. The original plebe 4036 flush valve rim was barely above the bottom of the tank, allowing nearly all of the water out during a flush. But the new one is working well despite leaving more water behind, so I have no complaints. Thank you again for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks