Are trap arms subject to changes of direction/cleanout rule?

Users who are viewing this thread

KSdoit

Reaction score
Are lavatory trap arms subject to IPC's 708.1.4 Changes of Direction code rule and its cleanout rules?

For example, suppose a lavatory sink cabinet is unable to center itself to the existing stubbed out drain pipe and vent connection. Assuming my trap arm total length is not longer than allowed by IPC for 'trap to vent' distance, can I run my trap arm parallel to the wall at the rear of the lavatory cabinetry and then make a horizontal 90 degree turn (using a 1/4 bend) to the existing stubbed out drain pipe and vent connection and do so WITHOUT having a cleanout?

The IPC's 708.1.4 Changes of Direction requires a cleanout for any change of direction greater than 45 degrees. Its includes a "horizontal drainage pipe" under this rule. So I guess the real question is ... is a "trap arm" a "horizontal drainage pipe" and subject to this 708.1.4 cleanout rule if a change of direction greater than 45 degrees is occurring in the trap arm?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
thats a very common way to plumb , no worry at all no clean out required . removeable p trap takes place of clean out if it comes up but youll be fine

Reach4

Reaction score
For slip joint stuff, you can take the pieces apart and have easy cleanout access.

I think the trap adapter at the wall gives you a cleanout.

JacobChevys

Reaction score
UPC is much more strict. In California out here it is probably even more stringent.

1-1/2” trap arm can not exceed 42”
On a trap arm a Clean out would be required in any change of direction more than 90*.

Youll be fine using a 90 to get to center of your lavatory. “Dirty Arm”

A p trap is a removable clean out yes… technically speaking a clean out needs to be the same size as the drain pipe. By “Code” a removable 1-1/2” p trap would not classify as a clean out on a 2” drain. Would an inspector ever catch that… probably not. Will you be fine using a 90 without a clean out… yes

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
my code allows cleanouts one pipe size smaller 2 inch pipe onlyb requires a 1 1/2" 3 inch a 2 1/2 and a 4 inch a 3 1/2 inch size its widely practiced especially on floor clean outs like in garages . a tom cap is often used.
A problem with using a dirty arm for a clean out is if it is used as a clean out extended horizontaly from a verticle pipe I was taught a fitting such as a combi is required. an example would be a end of line stack in a dead space a foot away from an outside wall would require using a wye type fitting and not extending a clean out tee or san tee ( Actualy found the code ) 707.6 points out this requirement so it kind of shoots holes in using a dirty arm for a cleanout in our (UPC) code. I dont see issue in IPC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks