Are dead ends a problem or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

KSdoit

Reaction score
As I understand it, the prohibition of dead ends that used to be in the IPC has been removed. The old IPC definition for a dead end was:

DEAD END. A branch leading from a soil, waste or vent pipe; a building drain; or a building sewer, and terminating at a developed length of 2 feet (610 mm) or more by means of a plug, cap or other closed fitting.

The prohibition and the definition of "Dead End" have been removed from the IPC.

Given this, can someone please tell me any pros or cons of capping off unused branches (under concrete) at a distance of more than 2 feet (which makes such a cap off a "dead end")?

In my situation, I need to cap off a never-to-be-used 10-foot branch (for a future sink) and a never-to-be-be-used 6-foot branch (for a future toilet). It is easier to break out concrete at the unused faucet/flange area and cap off the unused branches there than to break out concrete in two separate locations (at the branch to main connection AND at the faucet/flange connection). Is there any real risk with an old, unused branch (dead end), especially under concrete?

KSdoit

Reaction score
google this: dead end water in plumbing hazards
Legionella is a primary issue. Stagnant water secondary
Is capping off the unused branch at under two feet from the main drain 'good enough' (to comply with the old IPC rule) or does one need to entirely remove the unused wye and insert something like a Fernco fitting to eliminate the wye? A fernco seems a worse solution than just leaving in the old used wye and as short of unused and capped branch as possible?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks