Are cinch clamps reliable on PEX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamesd42

Reaction score
I’ve got some tight areas that I need to replace angle stops on my PEX stubouts. I have tools for crimping but unless I remove the entire vanity I can’t fit the crimpers in the area to get a GOOD even crimp.

Wild you guys hesitate to use stainless cinch clamps instead? I can fit the tool in there without issue. Are they reliable with correct tool and calibrated correctly?

other option is a push to connect.

I’ve researched and results were mixed with most info coming from a decade ago. I know a lots changed.

photo attached for reference.

CD1DCB03-4A34-44E2-90BA-75713DCFFC09.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
we all have a different perspective I have only run PEX for hydronic heating on one job using Uponor type A expansion it was about 3 months long. All the homes I've seen have been Uponer expansion. never seen or heard of houses here piped with crimp or clamp by professionals mainly DIY or some body that does a little plumbing work but maybe does remodeling and tries to do it all themselves. I just don't see it that much here . But I hear other parts they use the other methods so can't really say.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I said earlier, I'd just use a compression valve. It can be removed without tearing up the tubing if the valve fails down the road. There are literally millions of them in use. No new special tools or recalibration of them required...just two wrenches of the proper size. You can use any compression valve you like, but some are packaged with the required internal stiffener, but those are available separately if you find one you'd preferred that isn't already packaged with one.

My preferred method of using a valve on PEX is to transition in the wall to a copper stubout. This gives you the stability you usually want and then you can use whatever valve you want on that copper. But, if the shutoff is seldom used, that extra stability isn't as big a deal, and I have just attached the valve to the pex directly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks