Any suggestions for unused electrical outlet in shower remodel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Martina

Reaction score
Hello! We are converting our jetted garden tub/shower combo to a large walk-in shower as seen in attached photograph # 1. This new configuration now leaves us with an unused electrical outlet from the old jetted tub that runs on its own dedicated circuit with a wall switch in the master bath (see image # 2 for outlet on left wall). We have been racking our brains trying to come up with ideas on how to repurpose this outlet before capping it off in the attic. We considered a towel warmer, but prefer shelving instead, so that is out. We also thought about an exhaust fan, but that's not an option either. Has anyone ever run into this issue and come up with a functional solution? Thanks in advance for any forthcoming responses.

Attachments

• Conversion.jpg
    Conversion.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Bathroom Layout.jpg
    Bathroom Layout.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 199

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I remodeled a bathroom once, and cancelled a wall heater, so I made it into a receptacle, which can be used for a low nigh light.

Martina

Reaction score
I remodeled a bathroom once, and cancelled a wall heater, so I made it into a receptacle, which can be used for a low nigh light.
Thanks for sharing. I would like to keep the outlet, but its location is in the shower area directly opposing the shower head. Not sure if code would permit for that. I appreciate your input though!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What's on the other side of the wall? If that room could use a receptacle, just turn it around and use it in that other room, then patch the hole. ANy box must be accessible, so you can't just cover it up if it's still live.

Martina

Reaction score
What's on the other side of the wall? If that room could use a receptacle, just turn it around and use it in that other room, then patch the hole. ANy box must be accessible, so you can't just cover it up if it's still live.
Hello, Jim! Thanks for your response. We hadn't even considered the other side of the wall (great idea, by the way), but it's an exterior wall and we already have an outlet nearby, otherwise that would have been a great alternative. At this point, we're considering just capping it off in the attic and later on finding another use for it (perhaps attic lighting or exterior accent lighting).

Bannerman

Reaction score
Perhaps you will want an additional light fixture(s) within the shower area? The existing feed could supply waterproof fixtures that could be activated by a motion sensor.

Use the circuit for a perimeter light around a large wall mirror.

Locate an outlet behind the toilet to supply power for a bidet toilet seat.

Martina

Reaction score
Perhaps you will want an additional light fixture(s) within the shower area? The existing feed could supply waterproof fixtures that could be activated by a motion sensor.

Use the circuit for a perimeter light around a large wall mirror.

Locate an outlet behind the toilet to supply power for a bidet toilet seat.
I apologize for the delay in response. I haven't logged on in a while. Thank you so much for your creative ideas! For now, we have decided to cap things off in the attic and will likely reuse it later for an exterior lighting circuit. Thanks again though for everyone's feedback. Much appreciated!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks