Annual Drain clog

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYOwner

Reaction score
The drain connecting kitchen and washer is getting clogged every year.
When it gets clogged, there is black muddy stinky stuff coming up through the laundry sink.

Any suggestion what can be a long term solution to this other than an annual cleaning?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Snake out the clog well . maybe try that" bio clean " stuff some guys on here like. change your habits at the kitchen sink, attempt jetting, clean it once a year or repipe it.

DIYOwner

Reaction score
Snake out the clog well . maybe try that" bio clean " stuff some guys on here like. change your habits at the kitchen sink, attempt jetting, clean it once a year or repipe it.
Thanks much. What is the "bio clean" stuff? There are so many clog cleaning products that I am totally confused

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont know its some sort of enzyme sounds like snake oil to me but Terry I thought liked it and I have a deep respect for him though we never met and others belive in the product I cant remember the exact name hoping others pop up and share

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Bio clean is for grease. Bleach for biological buildup, and vinegar for minerals.

I'm a little unclear on what's plugging annually. A pvc drain piping? A flexible hose? If it's piping there's something causing the plug, either back pitched or a sag, or a break, or piping too big, piping too small, or another type of obstruction that slows the normal corse of piping self scouring.

Reach4

Reaction score
Basement? Is the drain line for the kitchen readily accessible from below?

DIYOwner

Reaction score
Bio clean is for grease. Bleach for biological buildup, and vinegar for minerals.

I'm a little unclear on what's plugging annually. A pvc drain piping? A flexible hose? If it's piping there's something causing the plug, either back pitched or a sag, or a break, or piping too big, piping too small, or another type of obstruction that slows the normal corse of piping self scouring.
The pvc drain. There are basically two drains -- one for both bathrooms ( toilet, bath, sink ) and other for washer, kitchen, laundry sink. I guess both connects somewhere before emptying to city sewer.
The second line ( kitchen etc) is clogging every year typically after we are back from a 3-4 week vacation

Reach4

Reaction score
The pipe under a kitchen sink tends to clog where it transitions from vertical to horizontal. I took a segment out of the vertical pipe, and cleaned from there. I used a Brasscraft drain bladder, but there are other brands. I pushed the hose thru and below the sanitary tee for the laundry, so the water was not backing up. I turned on the water, and let it do its thing.

After cleaning, I restored the segment with two Fernco couplings. While I used unshielded, I should have used shielded.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like grease thats why I said try the special stuff. I thought guys on here were belivers. I have no experiance on it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks