Anaerobic thread sealant

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber05

Reaction score
What is the recommended brand of anaerobic thread sealant rated for use in potable water systems? Should include hot water rating as well. Will be used to join 1/2”-3/4”copper/copper and copper/brass threaded connections.
Thanks!

Fitter30

Reaction score
Anaerobic thread sealant haven't use one that have purchased from a supply house that i haven't been happy with. For thread or flange damage X pando it's a powdered mix with water needs 12 to 24 hours to cure. Hit threads with spray degreaser brush on threads install pipe. mix in small batches to paste consistency. Chip brush to apply.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never used anaerobic thread sealant and can't think of why you'd need to. I've fixed leaking joints that had anaerobic thread sealant on them. My guess is the people who used it thought they didn't have to tighten the joint becuse I fixed 47 gas leaks in one building and most the the leaking joints had this on it. This building was quite old and the piping had been hit with forklifts over the years so that didn't help.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Never recall needing it in my 49 years of plumbing.

One big leak/drip embarrasment: Working with 2" black steel pipe on a commercial hot oil process piping system. The liquid inside was an oil that would get heated way-hot, and then the equipment would go to lower temps or off so the temp range was broad for expansion and contraction. We used teflon with Rectorseal 5 or SlicTite Teflon paste. The shop had to have absorbent pads under joints to catch the drips. The company understood and kept hiring us, but I remain embarrassed.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe somebody will share what anaerobic sealant is or what its for ? Expando is in that class?
Plumber 05 , These are some pipe dope that Ive used a lot of For 1/2 and 3/4 copper and brass or black pipe I used to use Laco slic -tite I still like it a lot its good for potable water and gas but there others I like better for gas and water but its real good stuff cleans up without much fuss. Oatey great white I just started using a few years ago its a white teflon kinda stickey great with water but not legal with gas . rectorseal no5 , t plus 2 , tru blu all pretty awsome stuff except When I open a can of number 5 seems runny but after you been using it a few weeks or the top is off the can awhile the consistancy seems better a bit thicker, keytite on gas is good illegal on pvc or perhaps other plastic . a lot of good product out there I guess I could say I dont need a single or certain one .
BTW there is a thread on pipe dope, teflon tape and putty

/

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe somebody will share what anaerobic sealant is or what its for ? Expando is in that class?
Plumber 05 , These are some pipe dope that Ive used a lot of For 1/2 and 3/4 copper and brass or black pipe I used to use Laco slic -tite I still like it a lot its good for potable water and gas but there others I like better for gas and water but its real good stuff cleans up without much fuss. Oatey great white I just started using a few years ago its a white teflon kinda stickey great with water but not legal with gas . rectorseal no5 , t plus 2 , tru blu all pretty awsome stuff except When I open a can of number 5 seems runny but after you been using it a few weeks or the top is off the can awhile the consistancy seems better a bit thicker, keytite on gas is good illegal on pvc or perhaps other plastic . a lot of good product out there I guess I could say I dont need a single or certain one .
BTW there is a thread on pipe dope, teflon tape and putty

/
It's similar to lock tite but for pipe threads. It gets hard and won't let the threads come back apart (in theory at least). It hardens when there's no oxygen present.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The first time I used it I was working on a car wash and had a 1000gal hot water storage tank with 3" pipe nipples that I couldn't get the threads to stop leaking.. and at the time with no pumps to evacuate water, I only could test it 2x a day. At another site of mine the fire sprinkler guy used anaerobic on all of his joints exclusively and gave me a half used jar of it.. I'm sure it wasn't rated for potable use, but I'm not certain I would have understood that at the time.. but fortunately this was all recycled car wash water. Threads sealed on the first try without having to even tighten them much.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never recall needing it in my 49 years of plumbing.

One big leak/drip embarrasment: Working with 2" black steel pipe on a commercial hot oil process piping system. The liquid inside was an oil that would get heated way-hot, and then the equipment would go to lower temps or off so the temp range was broad for expansion and contraction. We used teflon with Rectorseal 5 or SlicTite Teflon paste. The shop had to have absorbent pads under joints to catch the drips. The company understood and kept hiring us, but I remain embarrassed.
sounds like this might have been a use for a differant kind of pipe dope , the 3 you mention plus Keytite would account for 90 percent Of what Ive used I was always told the dope just reduces friction so it can be tightened I dont quite buy that though I think thats a big part but I think it seals it too

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK.. sounds like something I was told when I was an apprentice.. Code says pipe sealant tape or compound shall be used..

*Retracted* I would have to research it again, but I think the code, at least UPC states that you can't rely on "Sealants" to make up threaded connections.. So manufactures don't market dope as a sealant.. even if that is its function.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I follow you tuttles it probebly is some technicality as far as using a sealant to basicaly goop up and glue a poorly threaded joint or damaged threads would be prohibited but using a compound desighned to aid tightening so that the threads arent galled in the process is acceptable or even required but not to be used as leak fixer. Technical wording I wonder if using pipe dope and ptfe tape are even supposed to be mixed or if in thier paper work or on the can if its mentioned , I could see argument that using both is improper but I use both almost exclusively on pressure water and gas

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only time I've seen a manufacturer recommend both pipe tape and pipe dope is when the threads are 2" and above. Otherwise none mention using both.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only time I've seen a manufacturer recommend both pipe tape and pipe dope is when the threads are 2" and above. Otherwise none mention using both.
i guess nothing prohibits both but not sure Ive ever confirmed that on the code allowing both theoreticaly the 2 materials might mot be compatable

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks