American Standard Hamilton 1-piece Flush Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Gundraw

Reaction score
Have a 1 piece American Standard toilet that had a constant trickle into the bowl. I see 1999 stamped in the tank and am assuming this is the DOM.

Fix 1: Pulling the top I noticed the old ball-float valve was letting the water get up to the overflow. I had a spare Flushmaster valve laying around, so I put it in... the water level is right, but I got the same trickle (wth?)

Then I noticed that the flapper had some kind of "adapter" between it and the flush valve. I pulled on it, and sure enough, it was one of these (and the putty seal underneath in bad shape) :

81EzktRwgoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So I removed it, and saw this flush valve with "Hunter" embossed in the plastic.

20210807_173341.jpg

https://www.guillens.com/AmerStd/2092.017 _.htm

Question 1: This adapter seems wrong in a couple ways. First, it makes the flush volume decrease due to the now higher flapper seat level. Second, the new flapper seat has a smaller diameter than the original, I am under the impression that this size will dictate how fast and effectively the toilet will flush. Am I on track here?

I've never had a one piece toilet before. Is there a way of fixing this RIGHT? Are these flush valves proprietary to A/S? I saw somewhere where there was a 4 digit code on the toilet bowl that identifies the correct flush valve (I do see a 2092 stamped in the tank)?

I noticed this video on YouTube that looked about right:

For all I know, the flapper was the only thing wrong. Are those available somewhere? (A Flushmaster adjust-a-flush flapper did not seal properly).

I realize this is a shotgun blast of questions. I am asking as there are three of these toilets in the house (I assume all put in at the same time) and all of them have these flapper adapters and ball-float valves. I'd like to be prepared to fix them all.

Gundraw

Reaction score
Update:

First, this site was very helpful in figuring out what toilet I even had: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/american-standard-toilets.html

Second, I believe the "2092" stamped in the tank is the code for the toilet model. 2092 is a "Hamilton" if you look at the link I posted above.

Finally, using that same site, they give a great breakdown of what parts fit, what parts are obsolete, and what replacement parts are available (https://www.plumbingsupply.com/americanstandardtoiletparts-hamilton.html). I used the Korky 100BP flapper from Lowes (after peeling all the sealant from the flapper adapter :rolleyes:) and so far it works great.

hamilton-gray-background.jpg

American Standard Hamilton, 150 grams

Last edited by a moderator:

Gundraw

Reaction score
Oh yes, the Hamilton...............
Here is one I pulled out.

as_hamilton.jpg

Terry, have you found these to particularly problematic? These are toilets that came with our current home. I have been less than impressed with the flush quality as well as the inclination to clog. I am hoping getting the flush valve back to factory will help.

On a side note: I've been a lurker on this site for years and found it indispensable on a number of home projects. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think I pulled three of those out of the home, all fairly new. We replaced them with the TOTO Ultramax.
The newer stuff from A/S is better than those vintage Hamilton's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks