Am I correct in my thinking? It must be a bad pressure gauge, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

RobinFL

Reaction score
Have I properly diagnosed a faulty water pressure gauge? If so, in the plumbing industry, is there a brand that is regarded to be "one of the best" in quality, and if possible, made in the USA? It seems I've had to replace the pressure gauge twice in just over three years which seems, to me, a bit excessive.

I have a 13-year-old residential well with a Franklin Electric 1 hp submersible pump (originally installed in 2005), what I believe to be an Amtrol 81 gallon tank installed no more than two years ago, and a pressure gauge that I believe was replaced with the tank.

For what it's worth, I am a quadriplegic with paralysis in all four limbs and unable get close enough to the well to see the readings on the pressure gauge and had to enlist the help of my wife, therefore these values are approximates.: –) Also I live in South Florida with all the well components in the backyard exposed to the elements including full sun all day long and today the temperature was 88°F.

Okay, so my pressure gauge was reading 82-59 psi and I could not believe those values were correct. I have a Square D pressure switch and don't have the model number at the moment or remember if it was even adjusted at one point or another. Before thinking about having anyone adjust the pressure switch, I decided to have my wife drain the tank and see what the pressure of the tank was, just out of curiosity, and observe the pressure gauge. So we took the following steps: 1. Shut the power off to the well. 2. Drained the tank by opening the spigot which is mounted approximately 22 inches above the pipe feeding into the tank. I did not think to shut the valve off between the well and the house nor did I think to bring out a few 5-gallon buckets to determine the drawdown capacity of the tank which would have been interesting. 3. So with the tank drained the pressure gauge was still reading 18 psi. And using a digital tire pressure gauge the tank was reading 39.5 psi.

This data leads me to believe that 1. The pressure gauge is faulty and unable to read zero psi. 2. By subtracting the cut in and cut out readings displayed on the gauge by 18 (41-64 psi), I most likely have a 40/60 pressure switch which is functioning correctly. 3. The air pressure of the tank is probably correct and reading slightly above what I believe to be the 38 psi pre-charged level with the sun beating down on it. Am I missing anything?

Interestingly, there is a label on the tank indicating it's an Amtrol model number DP-81, manufactured on 12-5-2015, however, I cannot seem to find any more information about it on the web. Even if I search for that model number on the Amtrol website no results are found. I would think even if the tank was discontinued something would be mentioned. Strange.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My guess is the gauge is getting damaged by freezing. Quality gauges are not immune to freeze damage.

Just get a gauge with a garden hose thread and only put it on a hosebib when you need it. Keep it in the house when not in use.

Reach4

Reaction score
So with the tank drained the pressure gauge was still reading 18 psi.
That is conclusive that you need a new 0...100 pressure gauge. They are pretty widely available in areas that have wells.

Incidentally, any outdoor plastic not specifically UV resistant (such as PVC pipe) should be protected from the sun. Paint should be able to do the job if it covers well.

RobinFL

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. I'm off to purchase a new pressure gauge which I'll try to insulate during the winter.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'll try to insulate during the winter.
Keep in mind that insulating only slows down the loss of heat. You still need a source of heat that is more than the loss so you may also need to insulate the path from the source of heat if the path is long.

Reach4

Reaction score
Within limits, the ground and well casing provide some heat. So if you are in orange grove type places, insulation could probably get you through the cold spell. In cold places, insulation would not be enough.

RobinFL

Reaction score
Incidentally, any outdoor plastic not specifically UV resistant (such as PVC pipe) should be protected from the sun. Paint should be able to do the job if it covers well.
I found something even easier. I have a roll of unused duct tape that's been sitting in my garage for years as it's not something I usually use. It covered all the PVC pipe around my well and now it matches the other gray pipes around my well. Easy peasy

Atomic1

Reaction score
In my neck of the woods, any standard pressure gage lasts only about 2-3 years...usually due to leakage through the central pin. The oil filled gages are the way to go if you want something that lasts longer but they cost alot. Using the type that fit on the hose bib when needed are a good compromise IMHO.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You only need a gauge when you are looking at it. You can put a 1/4" ball valve under the gauge and just keep it turned off unless you want to look at it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ball valve won't prevent freeze damage. If you have a HP tank, you can always put the gauge on the top where there is only air and then there is no water in the gauge to freeze.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks