Air injection iron filter causes sputtering from faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Rona1d

Reaction score
I have an air eductor iron filter system along with an acid neutralizer and a water softener. For the past few weeks my faucets have been sputtering as soon as you turn the water on. This is a new occurance. The only part where air could be introduced into the plumbing is the air eductor. I tested my hypothesis by bypassing the system and that solved the problem. I have not serviced the system in 2 years. Is there a valve that could be the problem? It is a fleck 5600 head.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The usual flow sequence is: pressure tank > acid neutralizer > AIO iron filter > softener > faucets.

You said the faucets sputter when they are turned on. Is this every time water is drawn, only first time in the morning every day, or only first in the morning on certain days that may relate to when a water treatment device has regenerated or backwashed during the night?

When you refer to bypassing the system, is that bypassing all 3 treatment devices or only the AIO filter?

If there is too much air added by the AIO filter, I would anticipate excess air will become trapped within the softener. For air from the AIO to pass through the softener, the softener's resin tank would need to become substantially filled with air.

The only part where air could be introduced into the plumbing is the air eductor.
Air can be present in the water if the softener's air-check valve is not fully closing during the brine draw stage of regeneration.

Assuming the softener's control valve is also a Fleck, the air-check valve will be located at the bottom of the brine tank. The air-check is a floating ball that will seal off the brine pickup port when the brine level becomes too low so the ball will no longer float. Occaisionally, dirt or debris (ex: string from a salt bag) can become lodged between the air-check ball and the pickup port, thereby preventing an airtight seal.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
This is a very common problem with AIO designs, just one of those things you will need to contend with at times. Water under pressure can hold a lot of gas. When you open your faucet you suddenly depressurize the water, like opening a 2 liter bottle of soda. The dissolved gasses are released. Changes in your water supply can make this problem come and go. Water temperature, amount of gasses in the water prior to treatment, etc. We do hear a lot of people complain that this problem comes and goes, and they notice it is seasonal, meaning the water table varies enough to change the water in away that exacerbates the problem. Wish I had a better answer for you. A minor solution that we have seen people implement with a little success is to add a rr cycle to the programming if it is turned off or to 0 minutes. Make it 4 minutes and see if that changes things.

Rona1d

Reaction score
i am noticing it is worse right after the system recharges. if I push on the needle in the shrader valve while it is recharging, should water come out?

chrisx

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the sputtering, but I'm thinking that I have too much air being injected into the system. I see there is an adjustment screw on the air injector (same as micronizer but no name on it). Does anyone know what adds or removes air? I.E. if screw is all the way in is that maximum air or minimum? Thanks for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score

Rona1d

Reaction score
rona1day-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ditttohead

Reaction score
The system should draw in an air pocket. If you push the Schrader after the regen cycle you should get air out of it. It appears you have a Calcite AIO, a unique design that is somewhat effective if applied properly. Sputtering is common. We have a new device that is supposed to mitigate the problem but I have not had enough feedback from the field to know if it really works well or not.

Last edited:

Rona1d

Reaction score
The system should draw in an air pocket. If you push the Schrader after the regen cycle you should get air out of ir. It appears you have a Calcite AIO, a unique design that is somewhat effective if applied properly. Sputtering is common. We have a new device that is supposed to mitigate the problem but I have not had enough feedback from the field to know if it really works well or not.
how would air be drawn into the system after regeneration?

Reach4

Reaction score
how would air be drawn into the system after regeneration?
Air is drawn in on purpose during regeneration. The A in AIO stands for air.

After regeneration, some of the air doesn't stay where you hope it would stay.

Rona1d

Reaction score
Air is drawn in on purpose during regeneration. The A in AIO stands for air.

After regeneration, some of the air doesn't stay where you hope it would stay.
So when the system was installed by a professional, about two years ago, there was no sputtering from my faucet. So it is a new occurance.

What could have changed inside of the valve head to now cause sputtering?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I tested my hypothesis by bypassing the system and that solved the problem.
What did you bypass, the softener or the AIO filter? As @Bannerman said, the AIO should be before the softener so excess air from the AIO should be trapped in the top of the softener media tank. There would have to be so much air as to completely displace all of the water in the softener for the air to move forward to the faucets.

As @Bannerman also said, the softener could be a source for air to be introduced.

Does the air come out of the hot, cold, or both faucets? As @ditttohead said, air can be released from the water further downstream. The hot water tank is a common place for the air to separate.

ditttohead

Reaction score
No... :) Clack usually does enough homework to make things work but not everything they do is perfect. I have not put this on my clear test system yet to see what the difference is but I will in a few weeks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks