Air in all bathrooms

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I had my well drilled 2 1/2 years ago and everything is working great until this morning when I found that there was air bursts in all the water fixtures in the house?!
Info well drilled to 325 feet water at 275 feet 4gpm static at 5 feet. Pump is a 3/4 hp 10 gpm. There's a CSV valve followed by a big blue filter then a water softener.
After running the water through out the house no more air in the water. It's possible that the softener ran last night I was asleep at 2am. Can the softener introduce air during the recharge? Never happened before. Heading into winter what else should I check. Btw there's a check valve 200 feet above the pump as recommended by the well guys in addition to the built in check valve on the pump
Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don't know if a softener can induce air? But if not, air usually comes from a hole in the pipe below an un-needed second check valve. If that check valve was above ground it would be easier to remove. If air is coming from down the well, remove the extra check valve when you have it up to fix the hole in the pipe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can the softener introduce air during the recharge?
Yes. With most softeners, the brine pickup has an "air check valve" whose job it is to exclude air from being sucked in, once the brine has been sucked out. There is a ball that floats, and when the brine level falls, the ball blocks the path.

There is another significant possibility. You could have a small leak in the brine line that introduces air when there is suction during the brine draw cycle. That leak may be so small that it does not leak liquid during brine fill, but is big enough to pass air.

Trivia: water molecules are not bigger than nitrogen and oxygen molecules, but they adhere/cohere better. Thus they don't go through small cracks as readily.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Trivia: water molecules are not bigger than nitrogen and oxygen molecules, but they adhere/cohere better. Thus they don't go through small cracks as readily.

Interesting. I always thought air would leak when water wouldn't because of the particle size.

On another interesting note, I am hearing the masks we are wearing are not capable of blocking the particle size for smoke, mush less a virus. Lol!

Reach4

Reaction score
On another interesting note, I am hearing the masks we are wearing are not capable of blocking the particle size for smoke, mush less a virus. Lol!
I think the deal is that the virus from a cough or sneeze is usually traveling with a water droplet (aerosol), which is likely to get snagged. Your pants will not stop H2S molecules or mercaptans, but will catch aerosols or wet ones.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think the deal is that the virus from a cough or sneeze is usually traveling with a water droplet (aerosol), which is likely to get snagged. Your pants will not stop H2S molecules or mercaptans, but will catch aerosols or wet ones.

Lol! I can see the mask snagging sputum, but the virus not attached to the sputum is just passing right through the mask both ways.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks