Air gap RO faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
I need an air gap faucet for the bathroom. All I've been able to find are the tall, wide reach ones for kitchens, which I feel would look out of place in the bathroom.

I guess the other option is to cut another hole in the counter top and use a conventional dishwasher air gap, but that too would be somewhat of an eyesore.

Anybody know where I can find what I want? The Kohler K-6666 would be nice, but it doesn't come with an airgap.

TIA

Ed

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First time I ever heard of putting an RO system in the bathroom. I suspect you will have a hard time finding a design that fits.

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
First time I ever heard of putting an RO system in the bathroom. I suspect you will have a hard time finding a design that fits.

Thanks, Jimbo.

When I put the RO in the kitchen years ago I ran plastic tubing through the attic to the refrigerator and the guest bathroom. Since the master bath was so far away I put a non-RO filter and drinking faucet in there. My wife decided she didn't like the water so started carrying a pitcher of RO water in there every night. So, thought I'd just put a small RO in there. Trouble is, it needs the air gap, whereas the non-RO filter didn't.

Nothing is ever easy!

Ed

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
I am installing an RO filter with three outputs: Refridgerator (ice maker), kitchen sink and bathroom sink. Only the faucet closest to the filter needs an air gap because the drain line from the filter needs an air gap into the drain. This separates the potable water (filtered drinking water) from the soil water. I will use an air gap faucet for the kitchen sink (where the filter will be) and that frees me up to use whatever faucet I want for the lavatory.

If this doesn't work in your situation, I noticed Lowe$ has air gap faucets for RO filters that don't look too bad. I don't think they are meant for the bathroom, but are not too tall, so would be acceptable on a lavatory. They were special order for about half a "C" note.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

There are air gap faucets with a short "C" spout, rather than the ones with a long reach. All you have to do is find a plumbing supply store that sells them.

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
There are air gap faucets with a short "C" spout, rather than the ones with a long reach. All you have to do is find a plumbing supply store that sells them.

YES! I had been shopping online, and they eStores don't really understand their stock very well. Finally went to Pacific Sales, a high-end store chain herein So. Cal. They immediately pointed me toward a BrassTech faucet more to my liking.

One problem is the terminology is not standardized... Drinking water faucet, beverage faucet, RO faucet, etc. But for anyone else in this boat be aware that there is a company called Mountain Plumbing. They make an air gap attachment to adapt to several different faucet manufacturers products. Once you know this, search for them at an online store such as f**cetsdirect dot com. That may leadd you to offerings that use their attachemnt.

I will probably go with a Mountain Plumbing faucet (they make those too), MT600-CPB for $70 plue tha arigap AG600S-CPB for $26.

Ed

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
Why do you need a air gap on a RO spiggot/faucet?

Because I live in a city that requires an air gap in the RO rinse line. If not integrated with the faucet I would have to use a free standing air gap such as used on dishrashers in the kitchen.

I believe the reason they are required is to prevent reverse flow from the drain into the RO unit under certain circumstances. Since there are many places where they are not required, I don't imagine it happens very often.

Psjr56

Reaction score
I thought you had to hook it to the RO faucet, this is for the drain line on the RO itself, right???

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
I thought you had to hook it to the RO faucet, this is for the drain line on the RO itself, right???

Yes, it has to be in the drain line (sometimes called the rinse water line).

To see one of the air gaps made for attaching to a drinking faucet go to

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/

Search for AG600S

It snap onto the faucet base somehow, adding two additional nipples to attach hoses to. One if from the RO drain line, the other goes to the sink drain pipe.

Ed

Psjr56

Reaction score
Call me dense

I just don't understand why a faucet needs a air gap? I know the RO/DI system needs a drain but the faucet just dispenses the water. Sorry to drag this out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
air gap

The FAUCET does not need an air gap, but the air gap is part of the faucet. The RO device needs an air gap, so it is incorporated into the base of the faucet. The accessory air gap which this person is referring to mounts between the faucet and the sink. The air gap MUST be on top of, or above, the sink which is why it is part of the faucet body.

Jag_Man653

Reaction score
I just don't understand why a faucet needs a air gap? I know the RO/DI system needs a drain but the faucet just dispenses the water. Sorry to drag this out.

No problem, Peter.

It's not the faucet that needs the air gap. As you point out, it's the RO unit that needs it. The faucet is just a convenient place to MOUNT the air gap. If one wanted to he could use a separate dishwasher type air gap. But that would be far bigger than required, and would require drilling another hole.

Perhaps you missed it in the early part of the thread, but note that I'm putting a second RO unit in the bathroom. If I had fed it from the RO in the kitchen, no ari gap would be needed in the bathroom.

Ed

Psjr56

Reaction score
No problem, Peter.

It's not the faucet that needs the air gap. As you point out, it's the RO unit that needs it. The faucet is just a convenient place to MOUNT the air gap. If one wanted to he could use a separate dishwasher type air gap. But that would be far bigger than required, and would require drilling another hole.

Perhaps you missed it in the early part of the thread, but note that I'm putting a second RO unit in the bathroom. If I had fed it from the RO in the kitchen, no ari gap would be needed in the bathroom.

Ed

Thanks everyone for the replies, I did miss the 2nd RO unit. Thanks for clearing that up.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You do not need an air gap faucet at the second location.

And you can't hook it up if you install one there; unless you run a drain line from the RO to the bathroom.... and there is absolutely no reason to do that because the run is too long and the RO is drained at its location now.

They make non air gap faucets with the short upside down J shaped tip. Any water treatment dealer should be able to get you one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks