Air gap location on island sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Boo

Reaction score
We're relocating our kitchen sink and dishwasher to an island and would like to know if there is any alternatives to the unsightly air gap sticking up through the counter.

The sink is undermount and I purposely chose a very sleek faucet to minimize the number of holes needed in the granite counter.

When we bought a new sink a few years ago, I checked code to see where the air gap needed to be installed and, unfortunately, the only place was where the old one sat - protruding from the top of the sink. Since they now have garbage disposal air switches that sit inconspicuously on the counter I was hoping that there are some new developments in air gap technology that would allow us to stick with the required elevation but minimize the stuff sticking up from the island. As an avid reader of home improvement magazines, I see plenty of photos of island sinks that don't appear to have an air gap sticking up, but I'm guessing the islands don't contain the dishwasher.

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
Is a dishwasher air gap absolutley required by your local plumbing code?
If it isn't, you can just loop the dw drain hose over the top of the dw under the counter and not have an air gap. That's they way that our dishwasher(s) have been installed for more than 30 years, and we've never had an air gap or any problems.
Good Luck!
Mike

Boo

Reaction score
Mike:

I checked the local code about a year ago, and I'm guessing something like this doesn't substantially chage that quickly, so it looks like I'm out of luck! I'll see if I can round up something more recent. Thanks for your suggestion.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If safety is a concern, an air gap IS required. Some locales have seen the light and require them, and it is a good idea everywhere. If you'd rather not have an air gap in the island, see if you can rearrange things to put the DW elsewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks