Advice on replacing water service

Users who are viewing this thread

wallbobby

Reaction score
I have a few questions about replacing my water service - am going to do it semi DIY - I have a licensed plumber friend who is helping, and I have replumbed the interior of my own house before, both supply and drain.

My low flow indicator in my meter is showing a leak somewhere underground between the meter and the house. I replaced the main shutoff in the house with a new globe valve just to verify that it wasn't somewhere in the house (I don't think it could be anyway). My calculations show it's about a 10% leak over normal (ie, if we use 5 CCF a month, it's adding about .5 CCF per month - I'm not sure how big that makes the leak, but probably pretty small. The line is the original 1952 3/4" galvanized, so it's sort of reasonable there might be a leak by now, I think.

The original (current) installation takes a 90 right off the meter and goes down 8 ft, where it enters the house. Code in my city/state is 2 ft. My plan is not to try to fix or find the leak but just dig a new 2 ft trench, and drop a 1" PEX line in, drill a new hole in the foundation at that depth and hook it into the existing 1" PEX trunk that is right there (inches from the service line entrance).

My questions:
1) My plumber friend strongly recommends using PEX-A with wirsbo connections for this, so that there is nothing that can corrode. I looked at their site for meter fittings (https://www.uponorpro.com/~/media/extranet/files/plumbing literature/propex water service fittings and valves sell sheet.ashx?version=060620180413) and all of them are larger than 3/4" on the meter side - what am I looking for to make that connection? I thought for sure there would be a 3/4" NPSM to 1" PEX but there isn't - I must be missing something.

2) To drill through the foundation wall I was going to use a hammer drill (from the inside) with a slightly oversized bit from the OD of the PEX. Is that the best way?

3) I've attached a couple pictures where it enters the house. To abandon the old line, what's a good way? I thought I could either just cap it with a galv cap (but then it's sticking out), cut it and rethread right next to the wall and cap it, or using a hammer, tap it back flush to the wall and then mortar over that.

20190508_092249.jpg
20190508_092301.jpg

Thank you for any words of advice.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1952 and it lasted this long. Pretty good. The new PEX should be an improvement over the old galvanized line. And good questions.
Eight feet down, would be tough to pull it through on that side. The cap sounds tempting. Sealing around the new PEX through the foundation sounds interesting. When I was doing new construction it was copper, wrapped in tape and then packing with a sealing mortar. I'm not sure how they're sealing PEX through a wall now.
Does your electrical panel use the old line for a ground. Many times when a water service is replaced they want to make sure the panel is grounded first.

wallbobby

Reaction score
No, grounding is all via metal stakes. There is no metal pipe left inside my house except for this service entrance. If you look at the photo, right where the pipe disappears into the ceiling, it goes into a tee and becomes 1" pex and is then pex throughout the entire house.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"I replaced the main shutoff in the house with a new globe valve "

You mean ball valve I hope? Unless there is another valve before the one pictured

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Whew as I had a job recently when they had a globe valve on the water main (city water) and the washer was gone

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks