Advice on installing Entrada

Users who are viewing this thread

Macawmom

Reaction score
Hi,
I've asked about the Ultramax II before but that's going to go into my larger bathroom. Right now, I need to replace a broken 1969 American Standard with a tiny toilet and the smallest I found was the Toto Entrada round, which will allow us to keep the glass shower door that barely misses the old bowl and should give more clearance around the new toilet.
So, long way around of asking, since I am installing this myself, is it best to use a wax ring (or two if needed) or the ring without the wax for the Entrada?

Also, the listing of the site where I ordered this said it was a dual flush. Nowhere in the directions I found on line did it mention this feature. Silly question, does the handle pull in both directions for this or do you just hold it longer?
Thanks for your help again in advance.

Beth S. NJ

cst244ef-pic-13.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
The Entrada, is not dual flush. So your seller made a mistake in the listing. Still, holding the handle longer would indeed cause the flush to use more water for that flush. Same for Ultramax and most, if not all, others.

I think that in the Toto line, only the Aquia models and Maris are conventional dual flush toilets. They have some wall mount and no-tank units that are dual flush also; big bucks for those.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Macawmom

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry and Reach. It was weird, only on one site did I see it described as dual flush. That's not why I bought it. I wasn't looking for a dual flush. I bought it for the small size. So can I use a waxless ring or should I stick with wax? When I remove the old toilet bowl, I'll see where the flange is in relation to the floor.
Thanks again.

Reach4

Reaction score
With wax, you want dropping the toilet to be a one-way thing. You should dry-fit the toilet base and position shims in advance. I think the experienced plumbers have no problem dropping it into position right the first time.

The advantage of a waxless seal is that you can lift and reposition, and you can insert shims when you like.

Wax has a wide range of conditions it can adapt to. Knowing the height of your flange would affect choosing a waxless.

greenjp

Reaction score
Hopefully the OP doesn't mind if I piggy back on his thread, as I find myself in a similar situation. I have an Entrada that I'll be installing in the next week or so. Removed the old linoleum and replaced with tile and now the flange sits 5/8"-3/4" below the finished surface (the floor is level but the flange is not - 5/8" on one side and 3/4" on the other). Had a plumber in today to move the water supply and he seemed pretty confident that a single extra tall/thick type wax ring would do the trick. Thoughts? If I need two, what would be the preferred configuration - 1 regular on bottom, 1 thick on top? The thick ones seem to have a flange as well.

Another option I see is the Korky wax free one with the foam/rubber rings. The directions for that state to stack two of them if the flange is more than 3/8" below the surface. I like the idea of the wax free ones because I've never done this but would be curious if anyone has experience with double stacking these. I'm not worried about the relative cost.

Thanks,
jeff

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There are many ways of sealing the bowl to the flange. Wax is the most common one used, but there are non-wax methods showing up too. I've used some of those, like the Sani-Seal. Some of it depends on the flange you have at the floor. I've been using wax, both singles and doubles for the last 45 years.

index.php

Regular on the floor, and then the horn wax stacked on top. Then the bowl sets down.

two_wax_rings_tile.jpg

two_wax_rings_wood.jpg

Last edited:

greenjp

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Looks like a regular on the bottom and another with a horn on top? Any potential issue if I go with a regular/thick combo?

jeff

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks Terry. Looks like a regular on the bottom and another with a horn on top? Any potential issue if I go with a regular/thick combo?

jeff

I have also used the thick wax with horn, but that would mean three boxes of wax on the van. It also works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks