Adding full bathroom w/existing rm above

Users who are viewing this thread

SmithHSC

Reaction score
We would like to remodel our garage to add a bedroom and a full bathroom. One problem is that there is an existing bedroom above the garage. Due to the location of existing plumbing and other factors the new bathroom will need to be placed along an existing interior wall. The existing vent stack cannot be accessed for the new bathroom. Water lines and drain lines are not a problem. Any solutions for a vent stack when a finished bedroom is above where the new bathroom will be?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The vent, once it is high enough based on the fixtures it's venting (typically about 42" above the floor) can run horizontal as long as it has at least the 1/4"/foot slope so condensation or precipitation can drain. This might let you get it into a corner of the room above where you could box it in, then connect to the existing vent before it exits the roof. Depending on the number of fixtures, you might have to enlarge the existing penetration after they combine. The alternative is to run it through a soffit or boxed in area along the ceiling until you could get it up where it needs to go.

OFten, a garage floor is sloped towards the door, so take that into consideration when trying to lay things out. ANd, they may not have any moisture barrier or insulation underneath the slab, so the floor can end up cold and/ or damp all of the time, depending on the season and weather trends.

SmithHSC

Reaction score
I don't believe I can get the new vent to an existing vent. If I run it horizontally from the new bathroom to and through an exterior wall then run it vertically about ten feet up the outside of the wall, through the soffit and through the roof--would this work? Is it permissible to do it like this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Functionally, yes, not sure about the code. Aesthetically, not ideal. Somebody should know and respond.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks