Adding air gap to kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Danno408

Reaction score
We have been experiencing a foul odor from our kitchen sink and dishwasher since moving into our home a few years ago. 2 days after running the dishwasher, a foul sour smell begins to form inside the dishwasher and kitchen sink drains. We constantly clean the garbage disposal and even replaced the pump assembly to the dishwasher with no solution. After some research I determined that we have no air gap installed on our sink and the dishwasher drain had no high loop, it was just attached directly to the disposal connector. I pulled as much slack as I could on the dishwasher drain and secured a loop to the disposal mount bracket with a cable tie but the smell remains.
My question: Can I re purpose the hole cut in my granite counter for a soap dispenser for use as an air gap? It's this or take the disposal out and drain the dishwasher with a higher than existing loop. Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the current DW hose connect to the arm on the disposer, or somewhere else? A disposer acts like a pump, which can pump crud up the line if it isn't configured properly. That cannot happen with a properly installed air gap, and doesn't usually happen if you have a high loop. When disposers get older, the cutters dull, and tear things versus cut them, and that can make things a bit worse.

If the current hole in the countertop is sized to fit an air gap, yes, that should help. If your DW has a water heating option, run that to help sanitize the insides and clean out the line once you install the air gap.

Reach4

Reaction score
My question: Can I re purpose the hole cut in my granite counter for a soap dispenser for use as an air gap?
Probably, depending on hole size. However this probably won't help your stinky dishwasher. I am not a pro.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks