Acidic toilet bowl cleaners

Users who are viewing this thread

GL77

Reaction score
I tried an acidic toilet bowl cleaner (I used EdFred) and found that it worked so much better than the ones available at the grocery store. I'm wondering why they aren't all formulated like this? I want to switch to this type of cleaner but first I wanted to check with plumbers whether there is some reason the acidic cleaners aren't good to use, like is it safe to use regularly or will it cause damage over time to the toilet bowl, pvc pipes or wax ring?

BECplumbing

Plumbing Apprentice
Reaction score
I tried an acidic toilet bowl cleaner (I used EdFred) and found that it worked so much better than the ones available at the grocery store. I'm wondering why they aren't all formulated like this? I want to switch to this type of cleaner but first I wanted to check with plumbers whether there is some reason the acidic cleaners aren't good to use, like is it safe to use regularly or will it cause damage over time to the toilet bowl, pvc pipes or wax ring?
various toilet bowl cleaners are acidic. Lysol power toilet bowl cleaner is acidic and it won’t damage the toilet bowl or pvc pipes. My guess is it isn’t good for septic systems or cast iron pipes due to acidity.

Slomoola

Reaction score
Lots of new toilets have a slick coating to assist in bowl cleaning and flushing power. American Standard says use soap and water only. NO abrasives or acidic cleaners.

If you need some kind of strong acid to clean your toilet, you have other issues. Like you need to clean it more often for one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks