Acceptable dimensional tolerances for cast iron tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kickstart

Reaction score
I just finished putting a cast iron alcove tub in place, and leveled it using shims under it's feet. I'm about to hook-up/connect the drain.

I was wondering what the experiences of others has been with cast iron tubs and how level/straight I should expect mine to be. Mine is a 5' Archer Villager cast iron alcove tub. It appears to be "twisted" slightly and I wanted to get feedback if this is normal/acceptable.

I'll be tiling around the tub (in the alcove and around the room) and I was doing my best to get all the wall edges level to prevent unsightly sloped tile cuts or caulk lines. But what I found was, if I get the long edge along the back wall level and then get the shorter edge along he rear/left wall level... then the front/right wall edge is sloped a little over 1/4" into the alcove. The front apron edge is also slightly slopped, bu I'm not as concerned about that. I'll attach some pictures of the level bubble on each side.

My original thought was to just focus on the long back edge and rear/left edge of the alcove, as those will be the most visible in my bathroom. But with such a large slope into the front alcove corner on the front/right side I was worried water might puddle there. So, I decided to split the difference between the two shorter sides. The front/right wall edge now slopes into the alcove a little over 1/8" and the rear/left edge slopes out of the alcove about the same amount. Is this the best way to do this?, and ... is this just the nature of cast iron tubs or should I expect the tub to have better dimensional tolerances?

Thanks

20191115_135847.jpg

20191115_135847.jpg
20191115_140116.jpg
20191115_140229.jpg
20191115_140411.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kickstart

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm definitely guilty of being obsessive here.

But, in my defense, I'm also the "tile guy"... so I was hoping with a little extra attention during installation my tiling will go smoother.

Today I was thinking about the floor tile and was double checking to make sure the tube is parallel and square to the walls, when I noticed the bottom of the apron bows in about a 1/4" of an inch. (image attached).

I guess this is just the nature of cast iron tubs (and likely other cast iron fixtures). Turns out my friend installed the same tub many years back. He put a level up to his tub and it's the same as mine.

Attachments

• 20191117_101249.jpg
    20191117_101249.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 183

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Send pictures when you complete the job.
Have you picked tiles yet?

Kickstart

Reaction score
I actually have another thread here, that I'll post some more pictures as things progress. This project has been going on for a long long time.
I replaced all the plumbing, reinforced the floor, re-did the roof (added a skylight and replaced the bathroom window)... I'm finally rounding the corner on this project.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever installed a tub, cast iron or not, that was any more accurately sloped than yours.
I've never thought of a bathtub as a precision object.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks