ABS Tub Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Stoddard

Reaction score
I am in the process of a bathtub replacement. The original was a basic tub. The replacement we chose was a whirlpool tub by Eljer. Same size as its intended to be a tub replacement. My question is in regards to the overflow & main drain. I have the deep soak drain
My questions are these:

1) The deep soak drain is made out of ABS plastic. The drain/trap in the floor is PVC. If you look at the drain instructions here it shows a "taipiece" at the bottom which basically screws into threads on the drain. I am unclear how to make the transition from ABS to PVC & specifically what to do with the tailpiece. Does the part that screws together get cemented somehow? How does the tailpiece connect to my existing plumbing?

2) The deep soak drain has a couple slip joints. I have never used slip joints on an application that is essentially behind drywall (finished wall behind the tub & finished ceiling below it). This seems wrong to me. Is it? I have seen plenty of those slip joints leak on my sinks, etc & it would be a nightmare to replace one once this is finished.

3) Is it possible to just abandon the ABS plastic drain & create my own out of PVC? If so, where do you obtain the flanges for connecting to the main & overflow drains in the tub?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I often run into jobs where the customer has a number of concerns which require quite a bit of explaining. They've done the research and they've accumulated a backlog of questions that need to be answered.

When I show up to do the job, I don't have to think about all that because I've done it before. I'm thinking about other things like what I'm having for lunch, do I need a new tire on the passenger side, what does my wife want for her birthday, should I get that heart scan, did I pay the light bill, and so on and so forth.

So, the answers to your questions are easy. Try to work with us a little bit. I'm not worried. When I leave it will be right.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. "I am unclear how to make the transition from ABS to PVC & specifically what to do withthe tailpiece. Does the part that screws together get cemented somehow?"
- Your slip joint the transition from ABS to PVC is not cemented. The slip joint will not leak - if you do it correctly.
- If you want to use cement, where it will be a hidden set up, use all PVC materials.
- Do you have an access panel to the drain?

2. See above.

3. "Is it possible to just abandon the ABS plastic drain & create my own out of PVC? If so, where do you obtain the flanges for connecting to the main & overflow drains in the tub?"
- Yes it's possible.
- You can find all you need on line or at stores.

Note: if you want to learn plumbing, why don't you take a class at a vocational school? The internet is not as good as school.
This site may offer some FREE advise, but it's not a substitute to a school. Besides, other sites charge money for advise, sometimes questionable advise.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
trap_adapter_both.jpg

Something like this is what the tailpiece to the tub drain fits into. It's a slip joint fitting.

Many codes don't allow slip joint fittings in concealed places. Most tub drains I'm installing a solvent weld. (glued)

There are plenty of tub drains in both ABS and PVC.

accord_wild_03.jpg

ABS drains that are glued up. Also available in PVC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks