ABS or Polypropylene Drain Traps

Users who are viewing this thread

Bimmerite

Reaction score
First, I've been lurking on this forum forever and received great information over the years. Finally actually needed to post a question. Thanks for this forum, Terry!

So, there's lots of information out there comparing ABS vs PVC but nothing on the polypropylene ('PP') drain traps so I thought I'd ask.

I'm putting in new countertops and with them a new sink. Figured it's time to upgrade the plumbing under the sink as well. It's got to be over 30 years old.

I live in CA so PVC is out. The existing lines are ABS but I see at the local warehouse PP p-traps and the like. My question: stick with ABS or go with the PP? I've searched for Pro's and Con's and can't find anything. It's all comparing ABS to PVC.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you use a trap adapter and a tubular trap, that trap will be PP (whatever color it is) and work fine.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
My question: stick with ABS or go with the PP?
Actual ABS would be Schedule 40 solvent weld, and your trap adapter would be on the sink tailpiece (for a single sink). Anything tubular will be PP, and the trap adapter will be at the wall. I think the latter is generally preferred to a solvent weld trap. Note that the UPC limits you to one slip joint fitting downstream of the trap, so depending on your geometry the trap adapter may need to be a bit off the wall, but still on the trap arm.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
I would agree with PP slip joint being very preferable under a kitchen sink. Arguments of PP vs ABS would be about the same if arguing PP vs PVC.

I suggest you post a photo under your kitchen sink. Your new sink is probably going to be lower, and if you add in a garbage disposal, you can get youself in a bind.

Bimmerite

Reaction score
You're right. My new sink will be lower and I will be moving my garbage disposal over to it.
Attached picture of what is there now. The garbage disposal will remain on the left with the utility sink on the right. Same as the photo.
Kitchen existing drain.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you will want the drain for the osmosis to be before the trap, not after it.
And either one trap or two, it can be either way in California.
Your drains look low enough for a deep sink. 16" above the kitchen floor seems to work for 10" deep sinks.

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited:

Bimmerite

Reaction score
The osmosis is going away. It's actually never been in use and has just stayed there because of that saddle.

I have a separate post on the dual drain connections but since you bring it up....

Which route would you take? Single trap/sewer hookup or keep them separate?
I would route it so that the utility sink empties to the garbage disposal then to the sewer. Is that incorrect?

The only advantage I see to combining them is if any food accidentally goes down the utility sink it's get routed to the garbage disposal. And it would free up some storage space.

Thanks for the fast replies :-D

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Black plastic tubular Most of us find the white looks DIY hardware store but its just a look as far as I can tell. the only difference might be the trap adapter I've always used ABS glue on the black trap kits.
I'm not sure about the double traps I don't know of them having any problem but always wondered if one can suck down but that's a common castiron fitting around OC That's what my 1958 home had in fullerton never a problem.

Bimmerite

Reaction score
I was thinking about how I was going to set this up last night while cleaning up after my sick puppy (poor girl!) and realized that I was being stupid. Running the drain from the utility sink to the garbage disposal provides no benefit because it's AFTER the grinder. Duh!
I think I'm going to just do the separate drains and keep things simple.

Thanks everyone!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks