AAV to Fix Siphon of Tub Trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

MechTech

Reaction score
The vent for the full bathroom is downstream of both the toilet and tub. When the toilet flushes air is pulled in through the tub trap. I've tested using a manometer, and I'm sure it's due to vacuum in the line and not positive pressure. I'd like to install an AAV for the tub, downstream of the trap but before joining the 4" pipe from the toilet. My question is, can the AAV be installed 4" above that drain line, or does it need to be run up through the wall above the water line of the tub?

edit - I've already established that the vent downstream is not plugged/clogged

MechTech

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Terry! The valve I have is an Oatey, but looking at the Studor installation instructions I found the attached picture which is pretty much exactly what I'm planning except the AAV will be beneath the floor (but still accessible for replacement).

Attachments

• Studor.PNG
    Studor.PNG
    49.7 KB · Views: 285

MechTech

Reaction score
Reach4, a little space will still be needed above for replacement. The floor joists are old full dimension 2x8, and the drain lines are all below that, so I have about a 12" clearance above to work with if I hide it down there. I'm also considering running it up the wall behind the access panel for shower, but that's quite a bit of extra work.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reach4, a little space will still be needed above for replacement. The floor joists are old full dimension 2x8, and the drain lines are all below that, so I have about a 12" clearance above to work with if I hide it down there. I'm also considering running it up the wall behind the access panel for shower, but that's quite a bit of extra work.
I am not a plumber, and I have not worked with an AAV. I was just trying to follow the documents. Maybe you could set up your trap in a way that can be disassembled and let you get to the AAV for replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks