AAV Regularly Fails

Users who are viewing this thread

G Wayne

Reaction score
My home was built six years ago. We have a kitchen sink that is positioned on a counter top that has an open wall behind it, opening into the dining room. The plumbers decided to use two AAVs under the sink, one for the right drain, and the other for the left drain and dishwasher. I assume this was a cost-cutting move since venting this through the roof would have required running a lot of additional piping.

Within the first year or two of living in the home, we would get sewer gas smell throughout the house overnight occasionally. We traced the cause to the left drain / dishwasher AAV. It happens irregularly, as often as once every month to once every three months. Each time, I replace the AAV and the issue is resolved until the next occurrence. We suspect that the amount of times the dishwasher is run decreases the amount of time before we need to replace it again. When I replace it, I always notice the bottom of the vent, inside underneath the thread, is wet. I don't think water is getting up into the vent because I'm not seeing any evidence of water along the outside pipe or under the sink. Is it possible that the condensation is causing this regular failure? Perhaps the vent pipe needs to be extended?

G Wayne

Reaction score
Take a pic

Image 1 shows the dishwasher and left drain flow down into the disposal. The disposal flows out through the trap and into the main drain (down through the floor). The left AAV is positioned directly above the main drain.

Image 2 is a straight-on view of the left AAV mentioned above.

Image 3 is the right sink bowl which flows down through the trap and into a side drain which has the right AAV positioned above it.

Image 4 shows the main drain and where the left side flows in at the top (where the left AAV is positioned just above) and the right side flows in at the bottom before it exits through the floor.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 216
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 221

Reach4

Reaction score
Studor is the premier name in AAVs.

G Wayne

Reaction score
How much higher do you think you can get them

They're as high as they can go, very near the bottom of the countertop. I'm considering one of two options:

1. Add some type of elbow bend and extend the length of the pipe at an angle into some empty space in the cabinet or...

2. Take the pipe into the partial wall behind the cabinet which would allow me to raise the vents just above sink level within that wall. Then, maybe cut an acess panel into that partial wall to allow easy access to them.

I'm not a plumber, so I'm not certain if either of these meet code or not... any input on these or other suggestions are welcome.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks