AAV question

Users who are viewing this thread

Rojocapo

Reaction score
AAV placement question.

Sorry for my terrible drawing but I hope you get the idea.
So there is a gurgiling sound from sink when tub is draining after a bath. I am trying to help the situation, I don’t have access or rather don’t want to get in too much to add a AAV in tub line and seeing if it would help any if I add it to the sink one floor below?

Would this help the entire line or just be usefull for the sink.

Sorry if it’s a stupid question. Seems like it will help the whole line but just in case.
Thank you in advance. If you reply please explain why, i love to learn and a yes or no wouldn’t help me that much

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I understand that in your drawing, up and down the page is vertical.

The tub trap needs to be vented before the fixture drain has fallen more than one pipe diameter. I.e. it needs a vent connection at that uppermost horizontal portion.

The same thing is true of the sink trap arm. It needs a vent on the horizontal section adjacent to the trap. If you have no vent connection for either of these fixtures (and the way you've drawn it, the vertical drain can't be a vent for the sink, as it is carrying drainage from a floor above), then adding an AAV where you show it will work for the sink.

Whether that will assist in your tub draining, I don't have an answer. But the tub needs its own vent connection regardless.

Cheers, Wayne

Rojocapo

Reaction score
I understand that in your drawing, up and down the page is vertical.

The tub trap needs to be vented before the fixture drain has fallen more than one pipe diameter. I.e. it needs a vent connection at that uppermost horizontal portion.

The same thing is true of the sink trap arm. It needs a vent on the horizontal section adjacent to the trap. If you have no vent connection for either of these fixtures (and the way you've drawn it, the vertical drain can't be a vent for the sink, as it is carrying drainage from a floor above), then adding an AAV where you show it will work for the sink.

Whether that will assist in your tub draining, I don't have an answer. But the tub needs its own vent connection regardless.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you I was afraid this was the case, a proper vent i need to open walls, ceiling and then roof :/ .
The sink below is no problem just when a bath is draining that hear the lack of a vent :( ill see what my best option is. Thanks again.

Rojocapo

Reaction score
An aav generally won't help gurgling.

Are you sure there's no pipe blockages?
Yeah pretty sure, cleaned all well but there was a bathroom remodel and I belen e they removed the vent so i just have an issue when draining a tub after there is a bath, regular shower and sink are ok. Was trying to find a quick fix without having to reach in walls.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont blame you looking for an easy fix Im not confident it would help but it might , i dont think it will hurt at all though to add the aav. probebly all on a 1 1/2" line too I trhink a good 2 inch line might not get gurgling. or like mentioned a blockage a lot of people dont realize they have a partial blockage

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks