A Day in the Life

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Starting a thread of all the messed up installations I run into while estimating remodel projects.

Under a small 3/4 bath we're converting to a powder room. Yeah.. won't be using this connection. Its back graded because the weight of the stack is... wait for it...
20230613_153046.jpg

How its plumbed on the exterior. We don't need a vent.. nor fittings, just weld the galvie to the cast stack.
20230613_152436.jpg

You're short on funds.. no problem, we'll only install half of the stack.
20230613_153058.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another site visit the other day and we decided to trace back to the water heater to check its location and condition.. Found this interesting specimen.. just a single fire sprinkler in the middle of the cold water supply in what used to be the garage.

Sprinkler.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another site visit the other day and we decided to trace back to the water heater to check its location and condition.. Found this interesting specimen.. just a single fire sprinkler in the middle of the cold water supply in what used to be the garage.

View attachment 93095
I never seen that one fire sprinkler installations have a lot of "protection " in thier code much of it meant to protect those employed in the industry just as does plumbing very few DIY stuff almost impossible for even a plumber to work on them without a connection to buy supplys

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never seen that one fire sprinkler installations have a lot of "protection " in thier code much of it meant to protect those employed in the industry just as does plumbing very few DIY stuff almost impossible for even a plumber to work on them without a connection to buy supplys
I used to do fire sprinkler retrofits... but we sold that business off in the 90s. This one was just random.

I once wanted to see what temperature they would melt at and its definitely hotter than I could hold. I should try it again now that I have better thermal imaging equipment. I'll try it on this one once we demo it out.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Starting a thread of all the messed up installations I run into while estimating remodel projects.

Under a small 3/4 bath we're converting to a powder room. Yeah.. won't be using this connection. Its back graded because the weight of the stack is... wait for it...
View attachment 92909

How its plumbed on the exterior. We don't need a vent.. nor fittings, just weld the galvie to the cast stack.
View attachment 92910

You're short on funds.. no problem, we'll only install half of the stack.
View attachment 92911
I like the caulking job especially on the y where it ties in. Guess it can't leak from the bottom because it's halfway into the riser.

bingow

Reaction score
Well it's all educational for us DIY'ers, thank you. I haven't figured out a reason for that upper vent's path, above and left of the stack.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well it's all educational for us DIY'ers, thank you. I haven't figured out a reason for that upper vent's path, above and left of the stack
We just sold that job, its pretty massive. The stack just stops mid story on the exterior and the wye in the bottom is just a sink drain with no vent on it. Its just welded into the side of the stack. In a few weeks that whole thing will be demo'd and replaced with a vent going full height through the roof.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Only hope they drew arrows on the inside of the pipes so the molecules know which way to go l like the flue pipe screws are way overrated.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only hope they drew arrows on the inside of the pipes so the molecules know which way to go l like the flue pipe screws are way overrated.
The draft hood on a direct vent water heater... I've seen it on tank water heaters, but never on a tankless. It will be replaced in this remodel project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks