5810xtr2 partial setting lost after power loss

Users who are viewing this thread

Reader90

Reaction score
Hello All,

Noticed today, middle of day, my water softener went onto a regen cycle. When it finished I noticed the time was about 120 am and date one day earlier. Other settings, like hardness setting were fine.

I did lose power yesterday as I unplugged the unit for 1 or 2 mins to reposition the cable. Heard the valve reset, a normal mechanical sound when I have removed/replaced power in the past.

I reset the time/date. Everything g seems to be fine. Tested hardness and it was 0.

I just tried to reproduce the problem. I removed power for 1 min and reapplied power. Valve ce back online, but showed 1200 am, 1 day earlier as date (12/10), and it was showing a regen will happen in 2 hours (2 am is the setting I have.

I changed the daye/time and now it will regen in about 6 hours again.

Is there a battery or capacitor that holds configuration in memory. A battery I can replace, but I don't see any reference to a battery in any manuals for the Fleck 58xxxtr2. Also, I would expect all settings to be lost, not just date/time and amount of treated water left.

Installed 9/2017.

** EDIT **

Just found on the 5810xtr2 spec sheet, this statement "Time of day super capacitor backup for power loss"

I assume this is on the xtr2 control board, probably not a replaceable part.....

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Reader90

Reaction score
Correct, capacitor is not designed to be replaced, no battery on the unit.
Thanks for the information. I will contact the dealer/distributor to see if this is a warranty event as the unit my solution was purchased/installed Sept 2017 (less than 5 years).

Reader90

Reaction score
** Update **

I ended up talking to Pentair/Fleck tech support and they confirmed the behavior of what I am seeing is not what should be happening, zeroed in on the capacitor approach to store the time/current capacity settings for "up to 8 hours." and that the controller boards have a 5 yr warranty. Rep told me to go to dealer to request a RMA/Warranty workflow to be initiated. I will update this post as I go through this process.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks