5600 Econominder + tank

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeSS

Reaction score
I've got a rental in Las Vegas that has a Superior Water Softener system. Tenant tells me water is dripping from the connection that goes from the meter to the brine tank. He tried tightening it but it still leaks so he let me know about the problem. I called the company that installed it in 1997 and they want $500 for a new control unit. I'm thinking I can fix the old one and stop the leaking by putting in a new brine valve piston. It looks easy on YouTube. It seems that the main piston also will need replacement - or at least, new seals for the spacers that support the piston. Maybe I need a whole new piston?

Since the system is 20 years old I'm thinking I ought to replace the resin in the tank. I don't have the tank dimensions yet and I see that resin is expensive, comes in different sizes, and comes in different types. Could someone advise me regarding the type of resin I'll be needing for a condo in Las Vegas. Water is notoriously hard there. Also, will I want to replace the gravel in the bottom of the tank (if it has any)? I'm waiting on the tenant to send me the tank size so I guess I ought to hold off asking questions about resin and gravel until I know what size tank I've got.

I screwed up this morning and ordered a new powerhead, thinking a powerhead was the whole thing that sets on top the tank. I realize after a little more research that I don't need the powerhead. The powerhead is probably just fine. It's the pistons that need replacing. It appears I'm fortunate in having a control unit that is one of the easiest to work on.

Thanks for any comments. I'll return with the tank info as soon as I hear from my tenant.

Mike

MikeSS

Reaction score
I canceled the order for the powerhead since it's not a new powerhead that I need. All I need are the pistons and fresh O-rings as I understand things now. I jumped the gun in ordering a new powerhead but fortunately caught it in time.

The tenant just sent me pictures of the tank data plates. I'm attaching them to this post. The tenant measured the tank and tells me it is 9-10 inches in diameter and 40 inches tall. What I'd like to know is just what type of resin beads do I need in order to replace the existing resin in the tank. I'm assuming that resin would wear out over time and that if there is any left in the tank it would be worn out? No? I'm a total newbie on this subject so please have patience with my ignorance. These forums are for DIY idiots like me as well as pros so please keep in mind I'm in the first category. I guess I ought to organize my questions.

1. What do I need to order to replace whatever is in the tank. I'd like to know the quantity and type of resin in order to bring this tank back to new specs. I'm reading about a "basket". I may or may not have one inside the tank but in order to keep from losing resin during backflushing, I'm understanding that I ought to have one. How about a gravel bed? Is this tank large enough to need such a thing?

So . . . some please advise on quantity and type of resin. This is for the heavily calcified desert water in Las Vegas.

How should I determine the size of the basket for this tank? Please refer to the pictures I'm uploading. It may already have one but since they are inexpensive I'll order a new one. Please advise on size based on the tank data plates.

Recommendation please on source for the Fleck pistons and resin and basket. And what else am I going to need to rehab this system? What am I overlooking?

There will be some O-rings that need replacing I'm assuming so I'll have a complete assortment of them with me.

Thanks for any time anyone is willing to spend on educating me regarding this project.

Mike
tank data.jpg
tank2 data.jpg

Bannerman

Reaction score
The info plate does not contain much useful information.

Is the water source a private well (un-chlorinated) or municipal (contains Chlorine or Chloramine)? If unchlorinated, most often standard softening resin (Cation - 8% crosslink) is used whereas 10% crosslink resin will better withstand constant chlorine exposure.

If your water source is not chlorinated, the resin may still be usable. Worn out or bad resin will often create a flow restriction through the softener, so that the flow rate eventually becomes a trickle when only 2 faucets are open.

A 9" diameter tank is normally used for 1 cuft of resin, but the tank height is usually 48" whereas an 8" X 44" tank is typical for 3/4 cuft. One cuft of resin maybe placed into a 10" X 35" tank (or taller) so I expect at 40" tall, your system will likely contain 1 cuft. In addition to resin, you will also want to replace the gravel underbed which will probably be 15 - 20 pounds of bedding gravel.

As you stated the control valve is a Fleck 5600 with the Econominder controller (mechanical metered valve), there are rebuild kits available for that valve.

See PM to follow.