55 loose shower arms... ouch

Users who are viewing this thread

Bill Doyle

Reaction score
I am inspecting a 600 unit building for a client. Lot's of shower issues, one I'm not sure how to deal with. I have found 55 (count em!) loose shower arms. You can move them side to side and in & out... I doubt dogear collars were used on these, can't get at them anyway... the walls are all tile covered. Ouch.

I'm looking for a "topical" fix... maybe a pipe flange with set screws and anchor holes. I've tried caulk in the past, filling the hole and escutcheon... this reduces movement, but not as solid a fix as I'd like, and I question how long it would last.

Also, if the solution is some sort of anchored clamp, I need a deep escutcheon to cover it.

Does anyone know of a sure fire miracle cure for these pesky devils?

Reach4

Reaction score
Shove epoxy putty into the annular space (the crack)? I would note the neutral position before shoving so as to avoid a stress. I am not a plumber.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Shove epoxy putty into the annular space (the crack)?
I agree. There exist epoxy guns that mix the epoxy right in the tip as you squeeze. One type is made for the boat industry and another (Hilti) to place anchors in concrete.

After applying the epoxy, push the escutcheon back in place and place a clamp on the shower arm to hold it until the epoxy sets. You can speed up the setting time by applying heat, either with a heat gun or simply by running some hot water through the shower.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If they still make it, the Sioux Chief #61-02CBL wobbly arm repair, might work, although it days "when a drop ear elbow is used. Or the974-60310 set screw flange with the arm pulled all the way forward before tightening the screw

Bill Doyle

Reaction score
If they still make it, the Sioux Chief #61-02CBL wobbly arm repair, might work, although it days "when a drop ear elbow is used. Or the974-60310 set screw flange with the arm pulled all the way forward before tightening the screw

HJ, this is what I'm talking about! Guys, I've tried epoxy/caulk solutions... they don't work with loose arms... but they will be a big assist used in combination with this Sioux Chief clamp. I just found another similar clamp on Ebay... I ordered samples of each type, will mockup and try both. Wish me luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks