3" toilet drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

billyboy

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I'm being a little OCD by wanting to test a toilet's flush before I install the tile in a remodelled bathroom. The issue is a 3" drain line and while I have read that a 3" drain line has a hydraulic advantage vs a 4" line, my worst nightmare would be to complete the tiling only to find that the toilet doesnt flush satisfactorily because of the 3" installation.

While remodelling an 80 year old upstair bathroom, I have relocated the toilet @ 10 feet from its original location in order to accomodate a double vanity.

My plumber installed a 3" ID PVC line that begins with a 3" 90 deg. closet bend that drains into a 3" line that runs @ 3ft. from the front of the toilet location. This line then makes a right hand turn via a 90 deg. elbow and then runs @ 8 feet to the original 4" cast iron stack @ wall. The drop is @ 1/8" to 1/4" per foot.

Do I need to temporarily install a toilet to check the flow before I do my tiling?

I haven't purchased a toilet yet (althought I have Kohler Low Boy type on hand) and am very glad that I have found Terry Love's web sit because my plumber recommended that I purchase a Kholer Wellworth because "he knew how to adjust it for max. flush.." I now intend to purchase a Toto Drake thanks to the comment posted here.

Thanks!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The 3" piping is used as a standard. Its unlikely you will have any problems with the 3" line . The hole on the bottom of your toilet is only a maximum 2 1/2" in diameter. If it passes your yoilet , it will probably pass your pipe.

The only issue that I may have , is the 90 further down the line, although in most states it is to code. (Thats just a personal preference on my part. I like to use 2 - 45's to make the bend).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
3"

The majority of houses here, unless they have 4 or more toilets in them, have a 3" pipe all the way to the street connection, so your toilet will not have any problems, assuming the pipe was installed properly.