2" well with jet pump. Approx 72' Deep plugged up

Users who are viewing this thread

Indiana Eddie

Reaction score
Sorry I am a newbie to the forum. I did look at several threads that appeared in google searches. My well stop having water. I removed the pump (Jet Pump two lines) and found sand and sediment in the main line. We have uncovered the well in the pit in yard (pic attached) Based on researching I think this drawing is the type of well I have. (Drawing attached) I haven't cracked open the well top yet to see inside. From what I have read I am thinking the screen is bad on the bottom allowing sediment and sand to build up. I went from good water pressure to basically none in short order. The one well guy who came out said you just need to drill a new well. $4800 for 4". May not be a bad price but I have a son with a nerve disorder who just went through surgery and inccurs medical expenses every year. Money is tight and if I can save this well I would like to keep cost down. I am not scared to pull the well up but would love to know if that is feesible given the depth. Also would like to know what I should be prepared to do to get it out. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Pit.JPG
    Pit.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 287
  • Single pipe.JPG
    Single pipe.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,277

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It could also be a hole in the casing, in which case you would need a new well. You can try to pull it but the leathers on the packer will probably be stuck and take some real pull. Some people pour bleach down to dissolve the leathers so they can pull it. I don't know about that, but maybe. If the casing has no hole you might shorten the tail pipe or main pipes and get the footvalve above the sand.

Indiana Eddie

Reaction score
It could also be a hole in the casing, in which case you would need a new well. You can try to pull it but the leathers on the packer will probably be stuck and take some real pull. Some people pour bleach down to dissolve the leathers so they can pull it. I don't know about that, but maybe. If the casing has no hole you might shorten the tail pipe or main pipes and get the footvalve above the sand.

Ok thanks for the tip. Could it just be the screen at the valve on the bottom? It has been down there about 20 years from what the neighbor says and we do have rusty water.

Indiana Eddie

Reaction score
The screen is probably on the casing, not the well pipe. If the screen is gone the sand will keep coming in.
Thanks I have seen that on some of the diagrams. It seems like the diagram I attached shows a foot valve with screen that sits above the bottom of the casing. Is it possible that this is the set up

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks