? 2 different water sources to heat a baseboard ?

Users who are viewing this thread

000utback

Reaction score
I have 3 adjoining rooms sharing a radiant floor system controlled by a Tekmar 521. The t'stat is in room 3, the largest room, NW exposure, lots of old glass windows. The t'stat is controlling to ambient T within floor limits, also have a floor T sensor. An antiscald valve limits the floor water T to 150F. Little Taco recirc pump supplies 4 floor radiant zones, each zone with his own thermostat and fed through a Taco zone valve. 4-zone Taco control board. That's a bit of info about the total house there, not just the 3 rooms.
The t'stat also controls a second stage loop for the same area, supplying fin tube baseboard directly from the boiler. A separate pump, controlled through an Argo 4 channel board. (each of my major 4 zones in the house has their own thermostat and pump). Diverter tees are used in a single pipe system.
So, room 2 is way too cold. If I turn up the t'stat in room 3, and reduce the mechanical thermostatic valves on room 3 baseboard, the boiler just runs a lot. I am looking at replacing the 7' basic fin tube with a high efficiency unit with 75% higher output. But that's only helpful when we're in stage 2 heating (meaning 1.5F below setpt in room 3).
Now we get to my question. What if I ran the fintube baseboard in room 2 on floor system water most of the time (since the floor system runs a lot), giving me a low operating temperature but almost continuous heat output; then linked control valves to the stage 2 command, so that it switched to boiler HOT water whenever stage 2 was activated? Would a pair of 3-way valves accomplish this, one in supply, one return? I have easy access under the floor for changing the PEX tubing.
Any assistance appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Pictures & diagrams are worth 10,000 words. I don't have a clear enough picture yet.

It sounds like room 2 and room 3 are on the same zone, but room 2 only gets heat during the thermostat's second stage (no radiant floor)?

And all of the second stage baseboards are running on a mono-flow tees, rather than a direct series-plumbed loop?

Even at 150F the fin-tube would be putting out ~350 BTU/hr per running foot. What is the design heat load of room #2 using Manual-J or IBR heat load calculations? It's possible (even likely) that room #2 could go from being under heated to overheated, even without swapping it out for higher-output baseboard if running stage-1 water temps continuously.

Getting to the right solution usually requires a room by room load calculation. Making room #2 it's own zone (with a separate zone valve) might work just fine at stage-1 water temps. But without knowing the load numbers it's hard to make that call.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks