Search results

1. Gellia

Sump pump questions

Hmm,... Just checked with my DH. He's not sure about the weep hole. Thanks for the info. We'll check it out.
  2. Gellia

Sump pump questions

Hi Well, I found out the pit is only 18 x 25" :(. The entire cycle is 10 minutes pumping and then about 20 minutes silent. We can fill up a 5 gallon container in 12 seconds. The water level of the pit only goes down 3-4 inches when it pumps. I believe we are pumping at a rate of...
  3. Gellia

Sump pump questions

Ok wait, Bob....you're getting a bit over my head. The pump we have now is a 1/3hp Zoeller with an additional Zoeller battery back up. It sits high up in the pit on blocks so the float isn't always underwater, and only removes about 1/3 of the water in the pit. It takes 10 pumping minutes to...
  4. Gellia

Sump pump questions

Thanks I don't mind paying for a whole house natural gas generator. I think it would make me feel better knowing there could be no disruption in power and then no possibility of failure especially with a dual system. Because the pit seems filled with the pump system(submersible), would a...
  5. Gellia

Sump pump questions

Thank you, Bob. We do have a friend that is an attny looking into it. We have to establish our "loss" first and that means an estimate on a fix and a fix. I want to start to work on the problem, THEN I'll take care of the seller, who was ALSO the realtor involved and, I believe, is held to a...
  6. Gellia

Sump pump questions

Thank you. THAT is very interesting! We would certainly like to try and keep the water from even getting near the basement. I'm willing to do the WHOLE thing if necessary. We bought the house because of the basement and the belief that it was dry. We can't afford to sell and move and it's...
  7. Gellia

Sump pump questions

We just moved here. This is our new home!! It's only 5 years old. We just moved in last Oct. and the seller never told us about this. They told us the basement never had a water problem and was completely dry. We can't afford to sell it and move again. We'd never be able to sell the house...
  8. Gellia

Sump pump questions

The problem is the pit never empties completely at all. The pump has only been able to empty about 1/3 of it and it takes a full 10 minutes to do that. Then within 20 minutes it's filled to the top and pumping again. It's going for 10 minutes every 20-26 minutes on a constant basis round the...
  9. Gellia

Sump pump questions

I'm thinking I like the idea of a Generac system powered by natural gas. If we have no alternative but to live with the pump :( , would a good pumping system, battery back up and Generac let me sleep at night? We had great plans for that basement. I'd sure like to continue with them. Any...
  10. Gellia

Sump pump questions

Hi again. I've been doing some research on sump pumps. Right now we have a 1/3hp primary and a battery back up. I know we will need something different and if it is an underground spring, possibly either a larger pit or two pits. I read about a water powered back up that runs on your house...
  11. Gellia

Sump Pump Problem - I think

Cool! Guess I'll be getting an education in not only basement drainage and sump pumps, but real estate law. Didn't think I'd have to be doing this now. Life's a ball! LOL Thanks again, everyone. I'll be back as things go along because I 'd like to know it's being done right this time and...
  12. Gellia

Thanks, guys! You all have made me feel so much better. Thank you. I feel like we will be able to at least do something. I just want to be able to use my basement and be happy in my new home. We do love it. It's just the "boogy man" in the basement!! :) I think we'll have our attny...
  13. Gellia

Oh, we asked. We asked many times. The basement was what attracted us to the house in the first place. They told us the only water that had ever been in the basement had been from a rear window and a "little regrading took care of that". Otherwise, we'd never have any water in THAT basement...
  14. Gellia

We have no idea. We are going to try and get the plans from the town. What we were "told" is that the house sits on a 6' french drain with 3' to the sides. The pump was concealed when we first looked at the house and although we asked about water in the basement on more than several...
  15. Gellia

Thank you both. I appreciate the information. Mark, your scenario could be us. We just had a reservoir put in nearby. I believe it flows to the nearby river, though. Our basement appears to have been placed too deeply, I guess. It's 12ft. deep. I was curious as to how they would...
  16. Gellia

Again, my thanks for the thoughtful reply. I guess we'll look into getting a civil engineer to look at the problem. Do you suggest we go and get borings done? I'm prepared to install drains on the up side of the slope along two sides of the house, if necessary. If there is a spring UNDER...
  17. Gellia

Hi again, We did consider that, but the stream nearby flows in the opposite direction on to the nearby river. It appears that any runoff from the 41 foot elevation behind us runs right through our house. Sellers didn't even tell us there was a sump until after our offer was accepted. We knew...
  18. Gellia

Thank you. We have spoken to an attny, and I'm afraid we will have to pursue that, but we love our house and would like to try and fix the problem, if possible. We had some topography levels done and found that our basement floor is 7 1/2' above a stream about a mile down the road. There is...
  19. Gellia

Hello, Perhaps someone can give me some advice. We just moved into a house that is 5 years old. We were told there were no water problems with the basement and now that we have moved in we find there is nothing BUT problems and the former owners lied to us. There is a sump pit in the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks