Sewer treatment question

Users who are viewing this thread

mcf57

Reaction score
I am about to change out a toilet. While I have the old toilet removed, can I pour some fruit fly drain treatment down the toilet line? Or should I still pour it down a nearby sink (like I have done in the past)?

Also, I have always used a regular wax ring when installing new toilets, but I now see these plastic toilet flange kits that claim to be better. Are they better or should I just keep using a standard wax ring?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I think you are saying that you intend to put insecticide into your drainage system. If so, those are drain flies, rather than fruit flies. In https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/in-praise-of-the-drain-fly.66239/ I presented a positive commentary on drain flies. However they need working drain traps to keep them confined.

2. For wax to survive, you want to make sure there is not rocking. Place the toilet without wax. Place shims. Lift the toilet, place the wax, and drop the toilet.

Wax can fit irregular conditions.

When you plunge vigorously and the drain line below the toilet is somewhat clogged, that can create pressures that can blow out the wax. If your "soil pipe" is not clear, it seems to me that a waxless could be advantageous.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am about to change out a toilet. While I have the old toilet removed, can I pour some fruit fly drain treatment down the toilet line? Or should I still pour it down a nearby sink (like I have done in the past)?

Also, I have always used a regular wax ring when installing new toilets, but I now see these plastic toilet flange kits that claim to be better. Are they better or should I just keep using a standard wax ring?

WAX has been the standard for a long time.

If the toilet wobbles. you can shim the toilet. But check the floor around the toilet. If a rotted floor is the reason the toilet wobbles, you can't fix a f*cked up floor with shims. I hate shims! It's my opinion that 100% of the toilets out there can be installed without a shim. If you use a shim - THE FLOOR is the problem.